Feb 8, 2012, 8:32 PM EDT
Ortiz requested a salary of $16.5 million and was offered $12.65 million by the Boston front office when arbitration numbers were exchanged in mid-January.
The two sides have not been able to find a middle ground over the past three weeks, and only have a handful of days left to do so before independent arbitrators are asked to pick one of the two figures.
Ortiz, 36, batted .309/.398/.554 with 29 homers and 96 RBI in 605 plate appearances last season. He could have chosen free agency this winter, but instead opted to accept the Red Sox’ offer of salary arbitration.
- Patrick Corbin diagnosed with “damage” to left UCL 38
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 35
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 44
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 58
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (107)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)