Feb 8, 2012, 8:32 PM EDT
Ortiz requested a salary of $16.5 million and was offered $12.65 million by the Boston front office when arbitration numbers were exchanged in mid-January.
The two sides have not been able to find a middle ground over the past three weeks, and only have a handful of days left to do so before independent arbitrators are asked to pick one of the two figures.
Ortiz, 36, batted .309/.398/.554 with 29 homers and 96 RBI in 605 plate appearances last season. He could have chosen free agency this winter, but instead opted to accept the Red Sox’ offer of salary arbitration.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 3
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 75
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 76
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 102
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (103)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)
- Jonathan Papelbon blows save, gets ejected for making rude gesture at booing crowd (77)