Feb 8, 2012, 8:32 PM EST
Ortiz requested a salary of $16.5 million and was offered $12.65 million by the Boston front office when arbitration numbers were exchanged in mid-January.
The two sides have not been able to find a middle ground over the past three weeks, and only have a handful of days left to do so before independent arbitrators are asked to pick one of the two figures.
Ortiz, 36, batted .309/.398/.554 with 29 homers and 96 RBI in 605 plate appearances last season. He could have chosen free agency this winter, but instead opted to accept the Red Sox’ offer of salary arbitration.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 2
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 18
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 15
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 144
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 372
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)