Feb 8, 2012, 11:35 AM EDT
What would irk you more: if the owner of the Los Angeles Dodgers were born in the 1980s, or if he was the son-in-law of Donald Trump? What if he were both?
Jared Kushner, born into a prominent New York real estate family and son-in-law of Donald Trump, has emerged as a candidate in the bidding for the Dodgers.
Kushner, who became owner and publisher of the New York Observer in 2006, has played a key role in expanding the family business beyond real estate. At 31, he would be the youngest owner in Major League Baseball.
That, by the way, was either from a story in the Los Angeles Times, or else it was a pitch from a Disney movie called “Little Boss” or something.
And it’s not like Kushner’s father-in-law would be the only unseemly family member hanging out in the owners’ box on occasion. Back in 2005, Kushner’s dad was sentenced to two years in prison for illegal campaign contributions, tax evasion and witness tampering.
In other news, until the Dodgers actually sell, I’m going to assume this whole bidding process is a reality show. Next week: Magic Johnson and Steven Cohen get in an argument and things get real as Steve Garvey reveals a dark secret.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 11
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 16
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)