FYI: Barry Bonds can use a baseball bat again

Feb 8, 2012, 3:22 PM EDT

Barry Bonds AP

When Barry Bonds was convicted and sentenced for obstruction of justice he, like any other criminal, was told that he couldn’t possess any “firearm, ammunition, destructive device, or other dangerous weapon.”  Apparently a baseball bat is considered a “dangerous weapon” for this purpose.

Bonds — no doubt realizing that the Tigers are actually considering using Brandon Inge as a DH — petitioned the court to let him have baseball bats again.  The court has agreed.

Open question: if Bonds declared that he wanted to play again and would accept the league minimum, would he get signed to DH before Johnny Damon, Vlad Guerrero or any of those guys still on the market?  I kind of think he would.

Second question: would a baseball bat still be considered a “dangerous weapon” if the person convicted was, say, Vernon Wells?

1. fellspointbird - Feb 8, 2012 at 3:27 PM

A Bonds comeback? No way, not gonna happen.

Naw

• marshmallowsnake - Feb 8, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Well, if Manny comes back…then I would not rule this out.

2. jdl1325 - Feb 8, 2012 at 3:27 PM

So wait, the Tigers will use Inge at DH and Cabrera at 3rd? Unless you’re upgrading at DH why play Cabrera at 3rd? A 162 game spring training for 2013 when Martinez is back?

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 8, 2012 at 3:53 PM

I would imagine the DH will be a revolving door. Inge isn’t a full-time worthy player anymore.

• El Bravo - Feb 8, 2012 at 4:01 PM

I think we can call this a failed expirement before it even begins.

• cmutimmah - Feb 8, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Inge won’t DH. Raburn will play LF and Delmon will DH, Cabrera will play 1B when Fielder DHs, and Inge will play 3B when Cabrera DHs. There won’t be lower than a .275 hitter with at least 20 HR power DHing this season… this isn’t the Mariners with Adam Kennedy DHing…

• jdd428 - Feb 8, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Sorry, but Leyland has already said Young will not be the DH. The regular defensive alignment will be Young, Jackson and Boesch in the outfield, Cabrera, Peralta, Rayburn and Fielder around the infield, Avila at catcher and the last lineup spot will go to Inge or Dirks. This will be the worst fielding team in MLB history.

3. Jonny 5 - Feb 8, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Ouch!!! Maybe in the hands of Wells an anti-OBP tool of destruction?

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 8, 2012 at 3:55 PM

If it was Wells, he’d sell his bat for $1000 and when the buyer took it home, it would crack like a week later.

• cur68 - Feb 8, 2012 at 4:39 PM

…after first falling on the buyers foot & breaking some of his toes.

4. easports82 - Feb 8, 2012 at 3:29 PM

What about a member of the Mariners’ lineup the last 3 years (Milton Bradley not included)?

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 8, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Looking to most recent Mariners for offense is like looking into the Yankees dugout for humility.

5. deathmonkey41 - Feb 8, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Of course it’s a weapon when Wells is wielding one- every time he goes up to the plate, he kills the Angels.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 8, 2012 at 3:57 PM

VERNON WELLS IS A DEMON!!!

6. Gardenhire's Cat - Feb 8, 2012 at 3:36 PM

I’d take Bonds over Raul Ibanez and his .289 OBP any day

• Louie Schuth - Feb 8, 2012 at 4:21 PM

I’d take Raul Ibañez and his .289 OBP over Bonds and his Favre like press any day.

• cur68 - Feb 8, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Louie, ya lost me with this one. How does one manage to liken Bonds’ press to Favre’s? Aside from being aging jocks with injury histories, they are unalike in nearly every possible way, and especially so in regards to the press they got as players. Such an equivalence either serves to severely diminish Favre’s press coverage or radically elevate Bonds’ and doesn’t reflect reality in any recognizable way, IMO.

• Louie Schuth - Feb 8, 2012 at 4:42 PM

I believe Bonds will get crazy press if he comes back. All of his trial stuff has to be taken into consideration. It’s just my own speculation, but if I were a team, I wouldn’t touch him with a 10 foot pole.

• cur68 - Feb 8, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Fair enough, I guess.The hoopla would be nutty. However, I can think of a couple 3 teams that could use the press and the fans this would attract. Mind you, if it was The Feesh, they’d screw it up by demanding he bunt more and playing him only in away games…then they’d drag him through arbitration for all the balls he loses in the outfield seats…

• thekcubrats - Feb 8, 2012 at 5:38 PM

boys, please, he’s gonna be 48 this year, get a grip

(he’d still out-OBP Branyan, even if he never got a hit)

7. southcapitolstreet - Feb 8, 2012 at 3:42 PM

The O’s need to be all over this

8. cur68 - Feb 8, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Vernon Wells has feelings too, y’know. I mean, yeah, he’s The Devil and all, but he has feelings. Anyhow, he doesn’t need no bat to be dangerous. Knowing that extended happiness would occur, Wells naturally does all he can to kill the joy by playing everywhere in a manner not unlike a little leaguer in love being watched by his crush. That’s like, DefCon 1 for danger, right there, if you’re an Angel fan (poor Tiffany). Still, I’m sure he would be hurt by us noticing this: sorry Vernon, it IS just society wanting you to be worth what you’re paid.

Bonds with a bat, on the other hand, might be a beast. Just an absolute beast. But he would pose no danger to actual happiness…unless your team had to face him, of course. Even then, there’s a chance that age and inactivity has slowed Barry down enough for him to be sat down at league average for a change.

9. itsacurse - Feb 8, 2012 at 4:16 PM

He’s still a jerk!

10. scatterbrian - Feb 8, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Vlad turns 37 tomorrow, Damon’s 38, and Manny will be 40 in May. Barry turns 48 in July. Seems like a huge stretch…

That said, if any team looks at Barry, I imagine it would be Oakland.

• thefalcon123 - Feb 8, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Fun with complete nonsense, based on no logic or hard data projections in which I pull a number out of my ass and go with it:

If Barry would have suffered a 5% annual decrease in OBP and Slugging since 2007….

….his .807 OPS in 2012 would be higher than Damon, Manny and Vlad.

Barry Bonds was pretty good.

• cur68 - Feb 8, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Get him in the right park (Arlington, say) and that OPS goes north by a good bit, I’m guessing.

11. braddavery - Feb 8, 2012 at 4:30 PM

He probably just wants to be able to take batting practice (he still loves the game of baseball, I’m sure) and play ball with his kids. No story here at all.

12. mdpickles - Feb 8, 2012 at 4:33 PM

I know the guy is a huge jerk, but Bond’s swing ranks up there with Tigers golf shots and Michael Jordan jumpers and jams.

• thefalcon123 - Feb 8, 2012 at 4:45 PM

2001-2004 Barry Bonds was the equivalent of me and my friends at age 9 playing backyard baseball with my 16-year-old brother. MLB should have instituted similar rules, in that Bonds only got 1 strike, took 10 balls to draw a walk and only balls that left the stadium would be counted as home runs.

He still would have won at least a couple of MVPs in those years.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 8, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Still shocks me how he didn’t end up with like 10 MVP awards. Take ’96, put up 10.8 bWAR that year, no one was within 2.5 bWAR of him, came in 5th(!).

13. imaduffer - Feb 8, 2012 at 4:51 PM

I’m still confused, do you use the Clear during the week and the Cream on the weekend or do you use the Clear for day games and the Cream for night games?

14. Kevin S. - Feb 8, 2012 at 5:10 PM

I’d totally be down with the Yankees bringing Bonds in to be the long half of a DH platoon.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 8, 2012 at 6:15 PM

By any chance did you see the post on RAB about how between the 92-93 seasons, the Yanks were after Maddux and Bonds? And the only reason Bonds turned them down is because Stick wouldn’t offer a guaranteed 6th year. Made me want to cry.

• scatterbrian - Feb 8, 2012 at 8:12 PM

George once had a plan to get both Bonds and Griffey to the Yankees without having to give up too much…

• scatterbrian - Feb 8, 2012 at 8:32 PM

(Costanza, not Steinbrenner)

15. dlevalley - Feb 8, 2012 at 5:14 PM

“Open question: if Bonds declared that he wanted to play again and would accept the league minimum, would he get signed to DH before Johnny Damon, Vlad Guerrero or any of those guys still on the market? I kind of think he would.”

I don’t think so. Bonds said he would play for the league minimum in the middle of the 2008 season. At the time, there was some speculation that he was making such a claim public so that he could build a collusion case against the league.

A related question, though, is whether Bonds would be better, at 47, than any of the remaining ‘hitters’ on the market.

The guy hit 28 home runs in 340 at bats in his last season, for a 1.045 OPS. I know if I’m a GM, I’d give his agent a ring to schedule a workout… Of course, I would have in 2008 as well.

16. SOBEIT - Feb 8, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Bonds is not returning to baseball….99.9% sure of that. The reason his lawyers went to the judge to get the exclusion order is because Bonds has many bats at his home (wall/trophy case) from past memorabilia and accomplishments. Under the previous conviction order, which is being challenged by his attorneys, Bonds could not have any “dangerous weapons” which a baseball bat is classified as…apparently. So his attorney’s got a singular exception to the ruling so that Bonds does not have to get rid of all his memorabilia. This has nothing to do with trying to make a comeback at 48 or play baseball with his kids or whatever.

If Bonds had a collection of antique guns or swords on his wall like some afficionados of that genre, they would also have to be removed or he would have to get an exception to the ruling or be guilty of failing to comply with a court mandated order.

17. contraryguy - Feb 8, 2012 at 6:03 PM

I can’t stand Bonds because he symbolizes the Roid Era. But if he were to come back, Emperor Bud should put his foot down and say “finish where you started” and only let him join the Pirates. Nobody else seems to want sign there, and it would liven up the dreadful bottom half of the NL Central.

18. vols84 - Feb 8, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Didn’t Julio Franco play until he was 63? Why not Bonds?

• foreverchipper10 - Feb 10, 2012 at 12:15 PM

I love me some Julio Franco.

19. brewcitybummer - Feb 8, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Remember when people use to use the argument that Bonds was a HOFer before he started juicing. It seemed like that phrase disappeared as soon as we found out that A-Rod started juicing when he was a 100lb 13 year old.

I’m not taking a shot at either guy. I just didn’t like the way the sports media quietly changed the “script” in the middle of the night. In the end they’ll both get in.

20. Kevin S. - Feb 9, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Huh, when did we find that out at all? Seems to me the only reason we found out about any juicing A-Rod did was because the government isn’t a fan of the Fourth Amendment.

21. realgone2 - Feb 9, 2012 at 10:54 AM

We could use him on my wiffle ball team

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (5028)