George Brett’s company sued over false medical claims

Feb 8, 2012, 9:10 AM EST

George Brett

You’re not gonna believe this, but some people have the nerve to suggest that Hall of Fame third baseman George Brett’s claims that cheap jewelry has healing powers is … false.

I know, I’m shocked too, because I get all of my medical treatment from trinkets and baubles and things. Indeed, I was ordered to undergo triple bypass surgery last year but, rather than undergo a risky and expensive medical procedure, I put on a sharp little pinky ring that former Braves catcher/3B Biff Pocoroba said would do the trick. And here I am!

Lawyers are seeking class-action status for a lawsuit that claims Hall of Fame slugger George Brett has been falsely advertising necklaces and bracelets as being able to help improve health and sports performance.

A lawsuit filed Monday in federal court in Des Moines claims Spokane Valley, Wash.-based Brett Bros. Sports International, Inc. has falsely claimed its Ionic Necklaces help customers relieve pain in the neck, shoulders and upper back, recover from sports fatigue and improve focus. The company has also falsely claimed its bracelets, which include two roller magnets, would relieve wrist, hand and elbow pain, the lawsuit said.

George Brett is the president of the company. I’m going to assume that he has sufficient medical training himself and filing cabinets full of records of the clinical trials for his little bracelets which establish, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that they are not witchcraft and sorcery.

Because really, why would George Brett mislead us about that?

1. kopy - Feb 8, 2012 at 9:16 AM

It’s unnerving how many people buy into this things. If you’re consciously aware of the placebo effect, superstitious, or just like how they look that’s one thing. But they’ve done scientific testing with magnets more powerful than we can imagine, and found no medical effects on humans. There’s nothing that results from wearing a refrigerator magnet on your body.

• Old Gator - Feb 8, 2012 at 9:31 AM

I don’t know. I wore a couple of those things and it took my wife an hour to pry me off the refrigerator. Tore the pastrami pretty good in the process, too.

• kiwicricket - Feb 8, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Sounds painful.

• Old Gator - Feb 8, 2012 at 1:13 PM

It was, but fortunately there’s an ancient holistic treatment for torn pastrami. You just pack it in chopped liver, cole slaw and Russian dressing and bind it with two slices of rye bread (with seeds – very important).

2. bloodysock - Feb 8, 2012 at 9:26 AM

These are complete hocus pocus. Everyone knows the Phiten titanium necklaces and bracelets are the real cure all.

• Old Gator - Feb 8, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Nonsense. By wearing a couple of George Brett magnetic bracelets, I was actually able to get my broomstick to carry my water for me.

3. Matt Adams - Feb 8, 2012 at 9:27 AM

I bought some George Brett jewelry and I couldn’t sit for a week.

Sorry.

• Old Gator - Feb 8, 2012 at 9:32 AM

You can be forgiven. Put a quarter in the tithing box, throw three Hail Marys, and go and sin no more.

• Matt Adams - Feb 8, 2012 at 9:42 AM

I felt like a Pine Tar joke would be too obvious, so I had to dig a little deeper.

Oops!

• Tyree Studio - Feb 8, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Dang-you Matt Adams! I read this post and was itching to make a hemorrhoid comment and you beat me to it!

4. sportsdrenched.com - Feb 8, 2012 at 9:36 AM

I’m going to sue George Brett because we had to play the rest of that supid pine-tar game.

-Billy Martin

5. PanchoHerreraFanClub - Feb 8, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Isn’t character one of the criteria for the HOF? Where oh where are the sportswriters crying to get him thrown out? Didn’t the pine tar thing make him a “cheater” just like the PED users? Aren’t there any hypocrites left?

• Old Gator - Feb 8, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Sure. Just go back to the most recent Josh Hamilton thread and you’ll find plenty of them.

• patg1041 - Feb 8, 2012 at 8:28 PM

You know, it’s funny. For all of your pompous, pretentious, faux intellectualism, I’m almost positive that you literally have no clue what the definition of the word hypocrite is. You say that anyone who criticizes Josh Hamilton for his drug and alcohol abuse is a hypocrite. If I was an alcoholic that was criticizing him, then you would be correct. I however am not an alcoholic, nor am I a drug user, so I am free to criticize him all I want on that particular issue. Now, if you want to call me an asshole, that is a completely subjective assessment with no right or wrong answer. So go to town man, go to town. But in the mean time, go fuck ya self.

• Old Gator - Feb 8, 2012 at 11:40 PM

If you were any shallower, you’d be translucent.

Oh yeah, and stay classy, why dontcha?

• patg1041 - Feb 9, 2012 at 6:10 AM

Just doing you a favor. If I was using a word incorrectly, I’d want someone to correct me. Youre welcome.

6. mooseinohio - Feb 8, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Hall of Fame slugger George Brett? When did the former batting champ I grew up watching go from being high average, singles hitter to a slugger. Maybe his defense attorney can argue they are suing the wrong person.

• Kevin S. - Feb 8, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Since when do 317 career HR and a .183 ISO make you a “singles” hitter?

• mooseinohio - Feb 8, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Calling him a singles hitter may have been too limiting but 317 homers over 21 season works out to 15 per year, not quite enough to be in the running for the Silver Slugger Award.

• voodoochili - Feb 21, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Brett averaged 19 HR’s, not 15, and that’s over a very long career where he had less power at the end. He had a season of 30 HR’s (back before the era of steroids and new band-box stadiums), and hit 20+ HR’s in a season 8 times.

Plus, there’s more to being a “slugger” than just HR’s. There are more kinds of hits than just singles and homers. He had 30+ doubles in a season FOURTEEN times! He led the league in triples three times. His career slugging percentage is higher than all of the following “sluggers”: Gil Hodges, Carlos Pena, Bill Dickey, Fred Lynn, Eric Davis, Andre Dawson, Yogi Berra, Cliff Floyd, Cecil Fielder, Jeromy Burnitz, Kent Hrbek, Bobby Abreu, Pedro Guerrero, George Foster, Al Kaline, Dave Kingman, Greg Luzinski, Roger Maris, Eddie Murray, Johnny Bench, Jack Clark, Leon Durham, Dave Winfield, Eric Chavez, Jorge Posada, Bobby Bonilla, Don Mattingly, Tino Marinez, Bobby Bonds, Dave Parker, George Bell, Dale Murphy, Hideki Matsui, Joe Carter, Kirk Gibson, Miguel Tejada, Carlton Fisk, Frank Thomas… etc.

7. Tyree Studio - Feb 8, 2012 at 10:46 AM

How many of these necklaces and bracelets does a person have to wear to get into the BSOHL?

8. sportsdrenched.com - Feb 8, 2012 at 11:04 AM

I’m going to sure George Brett for emotional trauma.

-Goose Gossage

9. bigleagues - Feb 8, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Perhaps he should have another cocktail.

10. micker716 - Feb 8, 2012 at 11:41 AM

All of these current hitting records are meaningless until MLB institutes magnet testing.

11. cur68 - Feb 8, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Ole Poopy Pants gettin’ sued, eh? Well, just sue the shorts offa him. That’d be a losing cause.

• Old Gator - Feb 8, 2012 at 1:16 PM

With your luck, they’ll wheel him into your ward and you’ll have to put the rubber bands back in place.

• cur68 - Feb 8, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Man I hope so. I’ve always wanted to pull rank and tell someone else to deal “go with that sh*t, I got other problems”. Although, given that he seems to be pretty post mature, I don’t think he’ll be anywhere near me.

12. delsj - Feb 8, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Class-action lawsuit means what – that 1000 people will get a settlement check each for $19.95 and the lawyers will get a quarter-mil?

• The Rabbit - Feb 8, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Just what I was thinking, except the lawyers will probably get more than a million.
      I think we should lobby for a “Right to be Stupid without Expecting Compensation” Constitutional Amendment.

• sportsdrenched.com - Feb 8, 2012 at 3:06 PM

There used to be a law like this. Except it was universal and not just limited to our fair republic. It was called Survival of the Fittest. If you make dumb decisions…nature had a way of ending your dumb behavior.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5169)