Feb 8, 2012, 10:47 AM EST
Mitch Moreland underwent wrist surgery in November that was expected to sideline him for 8-12 weeks, but yesterday the Rangers first baseman told T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com that he’s “feeling great” and has been taking swings four times per week with hitting coach Scott Coolbaugh.
Moreland might be slightly behind everyone else at the beginning of spring training, but seems optimistic that getting the “impact fracture” in his wrist fixed will help him bounce back after struggling with the injury for much of the second half last season.
Moreland hit just .241 with five homers and a .666 OPS in 53 games after the All-Star break, including .167 in September, and was often benched during the Rangers’ playoff run. Overall his OPS dropped 100 points compared to his rookie season, so if Moreland wants to keep his status as Texas’ first baseman of the present and future he definitely needs to get back on track and join the rest of the lineup in putting up big numbers.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)