Feb 8, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
They haven’t landed Roy Oswalt, but the Red Sox did sign a pitcher yesterday in 17-year-old Australian left-hander Daniel McGrath.
McGrath is still in high school, so according to Rob Bradford of WEEI.com he’ll fly to America to briefly attend spring training in Florida and then head back to Australia to play for the under-18 national team.
Bradford reports that 15 major-league teams expressed interest in signing McGrath, who apparently “turned down richer offers” because he’s “a longtime Red Sox fan.” He also turned down a chance to play college ball and according to Bradford drew the most interest “of any Australian teenager in at least the past 10 years.”
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 107
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8