Feb 8, 2012, 10:30 AM EST
The Miami Marlins’ desire to land Yoenis Cespedes is no secret. They’ve been talking about it forever. They have been way out front in saying how much they want to push hard to market the team to the Latino community. And to that end, Jayson Stark reports that the Marlins may very well make an offer to Cespedes today.
I find this interesting when contrasted with this report from Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com about the Baltimore Orioles’ interest:
The Orioles are still trying to determine their level of interest in Cuban outfielder Yoenis Cespedes. The next step is for Fred Ferreira, their executive director of international recruiting, to take another look at him.
Ferreira will head to the Dominican Republic in about 10 days to watch Cespedes work out.
I suppose it’s possible that Cespedes will hem and haw for another two more weeks. But really, if the Marlins are making an offer today, what are the odds that the O’s will have to seriously “assess their interest?” He could easily be doing early workouts at the Marlins’ training facility by then.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 32
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (376)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)