Feb 9, 2012, 5:37 PM EDT
Earlier this offseason they were said to be discussing a long-term contract extension, but the two sides will instead go year by year for now at least with Gordon still under team via arbitration again in 2013.
He filed for $5.45 million and the Royals countered at $4.15 million, so they settled $25,000 below the midpoint following a career-year in which Gordon shed the prospect bust label at age 27 and hit .303 with 23 homers, 45 doubles, and an .879 OPS while winning a Gold Glove award in left field.
- Video: Joey Votto ejected, bumps umpire 0
- Carlos Rodon to make first MLB start Saturday 1
- Bryce Harper’s underrated day: Three at-bats, three homers 41
- Tigers, doctors clear Justin Verlander to resume throwing 10
- Brook Jacoby and umpire Doug Eddings were in a “loud, obscenity-laced, nose-to-nose exchange” 55
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 143
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 11
- Alex Cobb confirmed to have elbow ligament tear 14
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (143)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs (96)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (95)