Happy Red Ryan Ludwick says ‘San Diego screwed me up’

Feb 9, 2012, 2:04 AM EST

ludwick-120208.standard[1]

Ryan Ludwick is really happy to be a member of the Cincinnati Reds.

One reason for his happiness is that he comes from Georgetown, Ohio and grew up rooting for the Reds and Bengals. Another reason for his joy is because of where he isn’t: That hitter’s nightmare known as Petco Park.

Ludwick spoke with John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer:

Playing in San Diego screwed me up. I’m not using that as an excuse or a crutch, but it turned me into a dead pull hitter. I got away from what I was as a hitter.”

The numbers seem to back him up. Ludwick has a line of .218/.298/.361 in 91 games at Petco, substantially lower than his .261/.332/.455 career line. It remains to be seen if Ludwick will improve enough to earn substantial playing time in a crowded outfield, but he sounded confident, telling Fay, “I think it’s kind of up to me. If I play well, I’ll play a lot. If I don’t, I won’t.”

You can follow Bob on Twitter here, or if Facebook is your thing, be his friend here.

1. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Feb 9, 2012 at 3:50 AM

If he’s a Bengals then fan he’s ok in my books. Always liked him as a player anyway.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Feb 9, 2012 at 8:09 AM

‘then fan’…dammit…would’t it be cool if people could magically edit their posts on this site?

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Feb 9, 2012 at 8:10 AM

dammit…again

2. paperlions - Feb 9, 2012 at 8:34 AM

I’m not sure that the hit chart back up Ludwick’s claim about him becoming more of a pull hitter; as his hit chart suggests that he hit the ball to all fields relatively evenly.

If you look at his career, 2008 was a clear outlier….the rest of the data shows a guy that was a little above average as a hitter that is in a pretty typical decline phase for his age.

I’m sure his superficial numbers will look better in Cinci, but that is true of every player.

3. icanspeel - Feb 9, 2012 at 9:39 AM

He blames Petco, but the moment he joined the Padres he couldn’t hit.. Did stepping into Petco Park overwhelm him that much?

4. vanmorrissey - Feb 9, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Guess what Ryan, you blew it the minute you came over in 2010 and they don’t miss you either! You choked at your chance to be an impact player.

5. metalhead65 - Feb 9, 2012 at 10:45 AM

improve enough to earn substantial playing time in a crowded outfield. you people do not follow the reds much do you? they signed him to a 2.5 million dollar contract,no mayyer what the other guy Chris Heisey does ludwick will be the starter in left field. crusty loves his veterans and for some reason will not give Heisy a legit chance to prove he can play everyday. he is committed to the strikeout machine in center and Jay Bruce is the stud right fielder but the most important factor is ludwick played for walt in st. louis. so do not worry about whether he will get the playing time to prove it was the san diego ballpark that messed him up,like the whole season of playing time. they stuck with johnny gomes almost 2 seasons even after he proved he could not do the job after the first 2 months of the 2010 season. if he fails they will just play another reject like they did with fred lewis last year after dumping gomes,but no matter what they will not give Heisey his chance.

6. dgs2012 - Feb 9, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Luddy is a great guy … the Reds will undoubtedly benefit from his presence. He has been a good hitter at Great American Ballpark … in 30 games he’s hit .276 9 HR 21 RBI

Plus, he returns to Busch Stadium where he has hit his best over his career (.300+)

for more, google Daily Grind Sports

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5593)
  2. M. Kemp (3192)
  3. C. McGehee (2984)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (2973)
  5. J. Upton (2922)