Feb 9, 2012, 10:30 AM EST
I look forward to this every year: Keith Law has released his annual 100 top prospects list. Yes, it’s only for those with an Insider subscription, but at the risk of promoting the business of a competing sports network/conglomerate, I would submit to you that Law’s work is worth the price of a subscription itself, assuming you have the means.
I shan’t give away his list — you really should read it — but know that for the second year in a row he has the Angels’ Mike Trout first and Bryce Harper second. He also has a pretty good quote about Jesus Montero that I intend to steal and adapt for use of other defensively-challenged players (“As a catcher, Montero is not a catcher”). He also depresses me by noting that Braves prospect Arodys Vizaino is a great prospect as a starter when I suspect that Atlanta is gonna keep him in the pen.
Clear your calendar, folks. This is an annual must-read. And something that, if you care at all about prospects, which you should, you will go back and reference dozens of times throughout the season.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)