Feb 9, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Mark Trumbo‘s recovery from a broken right foot has been delayed several times, but the Rookie of the Year runner-up has finally been cleared to resume baseball activities.
Alden Gonzalez reports that Trumbo will have to ramp up his workouts gradually, but plans to arrive at spring training a week early and has already been taking batting practice, throwing, and running in a pool.
Trumbo’s initial return timetable was mid-November, so the setbacks have been significant and could make his attempt to become a third baseman even more difficult.
General manager Jerry Dipoto has said repeatedly that he doesn’t plan to trade Trumbo despite the Angels’ logjam of first basemen, designated hitters, and corner outfielders, but it would have been tough to trade him when the broken foot was still healing anyway and Dipoto’s stance may also change if the transition to third base goes as poorly as many people expect.
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 58
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 74
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 68
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 99
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (99)
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (95)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)