Feb 9, 2012, 8:50 AM EST
UPDATE II: The deal is for $16 million.
UPDATE: Deal done. Terms aren’t yet available.
8:50 AM: The Dallas Morning News reports that Nelson Cruz is close to signing a two-year deal with the Rangers, which would avoid arbitration. They have a hearing set for Monday in which he is seeking $7.5 million. Texas has countered with $5.5 million.
Cruz hit .263/.312/.509 with 29 HR and 87 RBI in 475 at bats. He misses a lot of time — he has never played in more than 128 games — but locking him up on a short term deal now probably saves the Rangers a good bit of money over what they’d have to pay in arbitration.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 4
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 28
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 155
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 42
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 17
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (91)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (81)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (70)