Feb 9, 2012, 9:23 AM EST
This is perhaps the least surprising thing in the history of things:
Peter Gammons says Rich Harden saw Dr. James Andrews, Andrews saw a surgical procedure, and Harden will miss 2012; wish that was a surprise
— Ray Ratto (@RattoCSN) February 8, 2012
Not surprising, but still depressing.
Harden is the guy for whom the phrase “man, if he can stay healthy …” was invented for. Even last season, which was his worst as a major leaguer, held some promise, with Harden striking out 91 guys in 82 and two-thirds innings. He has long teased us with the idea that he could put together a great full season as a starter of be converted into a shutdown reliever. But it’s never happened and, based on this news, is exceedingly unlikely to ever be.
Some folks win the talent lottery. Some win the genetic lottery. Some really lucky ones get them both. Harden, sadly, had only the former, as his body seems bound and determined to not allow him to throw baseballs the way he can without doing all kinds of damage.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)