Feb 9, 2012, 7:28 PM EDT
The A.J. Burnett trade rumors are very real, but they’re apparently not leading to a transaction.
Jones hasn’t come close to the .938 OPS that he posted in his breakout rookie campaign (back in 2009), but he possesses a decent power bat and is still an inexpensive arbitration-eligible everyday player for Pittsburgh. Burnett, meanwhile, has registered a 5.20 ERA over the past two seasons and is owed $16.5 million in both 2012 and 2013. The Yankees would probably have to eat close to $25-27 million to make the trade worth it for the Pirates.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)