Feb 10, 2012, 2:05 PM EDT
UPDATE: So much for the streak ending. Hoynes reports that the Indians and Cabrera have avoided arbitration with a one-year deal worth $4.55 million, which is $75,000 above the midpoint.
The Indians haven’t gone through an arbitration hearing with a player since Greg Swindell way back in 1991, settling before a case was to be heard or inking young players to long-term deals every single time, but it sounds like Asdrubal Cabrera may break that streak.
Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that the Indians and Cabrera have an arbitration hearing scheduled for next week and says “little progress” has been made in contract talks.
Earlier this month general manager Chris Antonetti revealed that the Indians were working on a long-term extension with Cabrera, who’s coming off a career-year and out-of-nowhere power display, but so far the two sides haven’t even been able to bridge the $1.45 million gap between Cabrera’s request and the team’s counter.
Cabrera will be under team control via the arbitration process again in 2013, after which the 26-year-old shortstop will be a free agent.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 10
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)