Feb 10, 2012, 2:05 PM EST
UPDATE: So much for the streak ending. Hoynes reports that the Indians and Cabrera have avoided arbitration with a one-year deal worth $4.55 million, which is $75,000 above the midpoint.
The Indians haven’t gone through an arbitration hearing with a player since Greg Swindell way back in 1991, settling before a case was to be heard or inking young players to long-term deals every single time, but it sounds like Asdrubal Cabrera may break that streak.
Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that the Indians and Cabrera have an arbitration hearing scheduled for next week and says “little progress” has been made in contract talks.
Earlier this month general manager Chris Antonetti revealed that the Indians were working on a long-term extension with Cabrera, who’s coming off a career-year and out-of-nowhere power display, but so far the two sides haven’t even been able to bridge the $1.45 million gap between Cabrera’s request and the team’s counter.
Cabrera will be under team control via the arbitration process again in 2013, after which the 26-year-old shortstop will be a free agent.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 18
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 32
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)