Indians, Asdrubal Cabrera avoid arbitration for $4.55 million

Feb 10, 2012, 2:05 PM EDT

Asdrubal Cabrera Getty Images

UPDATE: So much for the streak ending. Hoynes reports that the Indians and Cabrera have avoided arbitration with a one-year deal worth $4.55 million, which is $75,000 above the midpoint.

==========

The Indians haven’t gone through an arbitration hearing with a player since Greg Swindell way back in 1991, settling before a case was to be heard or inking young players to long-term deals every single time, but it sounds like Asdrubal Cabrera may break that streak.

Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that the Indians and Cabrera have an arbitration hearing scheduled for next week and says “little progress” has been made in contract talks.

Earlier this month general manager Chris Antonetti revealed that the Indians were working on a long-term extension with Cabrera, who’s coming off a career-year and out-of-nowhere power display, but so far the two sides haven’t even been able to bridge the $1.45 million gap between Cabrera’s request and the team’s counter.

Cabrera will be under team control via the arbitration process again in 2013, after which the 26-year-old shortstop will be a free agent.

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 10, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Really? $1.45 million apart and they may risk their first hearing in 21 years? Give Cabrera an extra million, I’m sure he’d settle for $450,000 less and you can call it a day. He’s your best player, still affordable, and a SS to boost his value even more. Please the boy.

• dnc6 - Feb 10, 2012 at 1:12 PM

A slippery slope, my friend. What do you do when every player who hits an arbitration year sees that, hey why not, you’ll just please the boy?

Try to work out a long-term deal with him, and if he wins arbitration, then he wins arbitration.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 10, 2012 at 1:43 PM

He, individually, is worth it. There’s no slippery slope here.

• dnc6 - Feb 10, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Just about every player is “worth it” in their arb years. That doesn’t mean there is any benefit in paying them more than you have to.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 10, 2012 at 2:41 PM

I think they have to pay him a million or so more. Let’s agree to disagree.

• dnc6 - Feb 10, 2012 at 2:54 PM

I’m just trying to understand your logic on why they “have to”. What would have happened now that they didn’t give him 4.75 million?

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 10, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Just drop it already. I think they should pay their star player closer to what he’s asking for because of what a great performance he put up in 2011. I’m glad they came to an agreement.

• dnc6 - Feb 10, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Sorry, but your refusal to respond just piques my curiosity. I get that you think he’s worth at least 4.75 million. But if they can get him for less, why shouldn’t they try? If there’s a bottle of whiskey that you would pay $50 for if you absolutely had to, but was on sale for $30, would you go “no, no at least let me give you $40″?

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 10, 2012 at 3:24 PM

If I was going to have to engage in an uncomfortable-drawn out discussion (such as this one) about the bottle of whisky, and if this was a magical world and I thought the whisky would taste a little bit better if I gave it a slightly higher pricetag on top of worrying about an uncomfortable discussion, a discussion I’ve successfully avoided for 21 years, I’d consider paying more than $30. If $45 made the discussion go away and I personally thought that would make the whisky taste better, I’d pay that instead of $45. Ease over savings.

I guess there’s your answer. Way to bear hug that one out of me, bro.

• dnc6 - Feb 10, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Why does paying more make the whiskey taste better? And, remember, you’re not made of money like the Sox, Yanks and Phillies are. When you’re the Indians, ever penny matters. Savings can’t be ignored.

2. Lukehart80 - Feb 10, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Offer him the difference between the two proposals, plus court-side season tickets to the Cavs, that would up the value of the offer by ~$173, surely enough to convince him to stay!

3. nickswish33 - Feb 10, 2012 at 3:27 PM

He is a stud give him what he wants
    And only 1.75mil this guy was the best American league shortstop

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 10, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Exactly.

• dnc6 - Feb 10, 2012 at 7:28 PM

One, he wasn’t the best shortstop in the AL, especially with that defense, and two, I know things work a little differently along the I-95 corridor, but you can’t just start giving guys whatever they want.

All the trade deadline news to know