Billy Beane is going to the Oscars

Feb 10, 2012, 1:18 PM EDT

Billy Beane AP

Fresh off a contract extension that will keep him with the A’s through 2019, general manager Billy Beane is headed to the Academy Awards.

Beane told Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle that he’ll be there on February 26 to support “Moneyball” and Brad Pitt, who portrayed him in the Oscar-nominated movie.

Of course, absolutely I’m rooting for him. Not me. It’s got nothing to do with me. It’s all about Brad. He’s a great guy, and I do want him to win for his sake, not for me. He’s the one who put himself on the line. He’s one of the producers, and he was the driving force behind getting the movie made. Anything he gets, he deserves.

Asked about the tuxedo he bought last week, Beane said he “avoided ruffles and power blue.” Presumably he’ll also leave his spit cup at home.

1. phillysoulfan - Feb 10, 2012 at 1:21 PM

That’s awesome

• scatterbrian - Feb 10, 2012 at 6:08 PM

It would be even more awesome if he leaves when the show starts and has Jonah Hill text him the results.

• APBA Guy - Feb 11, 2012 at 12:14 AM

I love this comment!

2. yettyskills - Feb 10, 2012 at 1:25 PM

They could be brothers the resemblance is so close

3. butchhuskey - Feb 10, 2012 at 1:37 PM

You can rightfully criticize what Beane has done as a general manager over the last five years but he’s kind of hard not to like. He seems like a pretty down-to-earth guy.

4. aaronmoreno - Feb 10, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Hey, this is Beane’s chance to finally be behind a winner.

5. sdelmonte - Feb 10, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Am I alone in thinking that Beane looks like a young Mark Harmon, and not Brad Pitt?

Any truth to the rumor that Beane offered to produce the Oscars on a budget, and was willing to trade Billy Crystal for three young comedians? (He couldn’t possibly be worse that Brett Ratner was likely to be.)

• nworca - Feb 10, 2012 at 6:44 PM

I’m seeing Billy Bob Thorton.

6. scatterbrian - Feb 10, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Tuxedo and a visor.

7. The Baseball Gods - Feb 12, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Wait…..did the Athletics ever actually win anything under Billy Beane? I think Moneyball shouldn’t win either because it was a movie about celebrating a person who ran a team that never won anything. Wouldn’t it have been more interesting and just to make a movie about Theo Epstein who was able to end the Red Sox World Series drought?

All the trade deadline news to know