Feb 10, 2012, 10:15 AM EST
In a deal that was agreed upon back in October, the Cardinals have finalized a contract with 17-year-old Dominican right-hander Andres Serrano that includes a $750,000 bonus.
However, according to Ben Badler of Baseball America the signing “is still pending Major League Baseball’s investigation into Serrano’s age and identity.”
Here’s a little of Badler’s scouting report:
Serrano, 17, has a long-armed, projectable 6-foot-3, 190-pound frame and a fastball that scouts have said they’ve seen range anywhere from 90-95 mph. Serrano is a good athlete who also throws a curveball and a changeup, with the curveball the most advanced of his secondary offerings.
If approved the $750,000 bonus would be the highest given to a Dominican pitcher from the 2011 class.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 66
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 33
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)