Feb 10, 2012, 8:00 PM EDT
The Cardinals announced late this afternoon that they have signed reliever Scott Linebrink to a minor league contract which includes an invitation to spring training. B.J. Rains of FOX Sports Midwest was the first to report the news.
Linebrink posted a solid 3.64 ERA and a 42/21 K/BB ratio over 54 1/3 innings with the Braves last season, although he was limited to just 14 appearances between August and September due to a lower back injury. He clearly enjoyed getting away from the American League and the hitter-friendly U.S. Cellular Field, but evidently that wasn’t enough to get him a guaranteed major-league deal.
The Cardinals already have plenty of quality options in their projected bullpen, so the veteran right-hander may have a tough time winning a spot on the Opening Day roster.
- Cliff Lee exits start with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 11
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 129
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (129)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)