“Every spring training clubhouse smells like a distinct mix of sunscreen and coffee farts”

Feb 10, 2012, 4:27 PM EDT

Brandon McCarthy AP

Ahh, can’t wait to get to spring training next month!

Those words, by the way, are from A’s pitcher Brandon McCarthy, who took over Jimmy Traina’s Hot Clicks column over at Sports Illustrated today.  McCarthy is one of the few ballplayers I enjoy following on Twitter — he’s awesome — and his wit translates well to longer form.  And he asks you to choose which character is better: Jack Donaghy or Ron Swanson.  I think this will cause people to fight.

Oh, and he posts a bikini pic of his wife as his “Lovely Lady of the Day.”  Which is rather open-minded of both him and Mrs. McCarthy.

Go read it.  It’s easily the most yuks you’ll get today.

1. vanmorrissey - Feb 10, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Nice read, and Amanda, well Brandon, one lucky dude!

2. Manni Stats - Feb 10, 2012 at 4:41 PM

His screed on Gronk should be read by all meatheaded sports fans (if they can, in fact, read). Just fantastic, fantastic stuff.

3. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 10, 2012 at 5:01 PM

1. It’s so, so, so LONG: It’s six weeks of practice and pretend games. It just never seems to end. It’s like our version of Oregon Trail. By the time camp ends, someone’s died of Dysentery, there’s a bunch of new kids that have been born, and your feet are killing you.

Should have caulked the wagon Brandon.

4. aceshigh11 - Feb 10, 2012 at 5:11 PM

He’s a damned solid writer.

His piece on Gronkowski is indeed very good, and his wife…oh, momma. What a lucky guy he is.

5. butchhuskey - Feb 10, 2012 at 5:11 PM

I’d personally like to thank him for posting that photo of his wife.

• aceshigh11 - Feb 10, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Ditto.

6. cur68 - Feb 10, 2012 at 5:17 PM

So lets see…smart, gorgeous wife, tall, funny and a pro ball player, right? Huh. I hate his guts. I’m going to go put on my hiking boots, 8 layers of clothing, and go run with my dog till all I care about is if I’ll barf icicles. Then I won’t give crap that I’m none of those things. I’ll just be glad to be alive.

• El Bravo - Feb 10, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Dude, just get really drunk, it’s a much easier way to not care anymore…

• cur68 - Feb 10, 2012 at 6:29 PM

That’s the plan for tonight…after which I suspect I’ll wish I was dead. A pox on the tall and handsome!

7. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 10, 2012 at 5:41 PM

…and though he’s having success now, no matter what happens to his pitching, after seeing this article, I will never feel sorry for Brandon McCarthy no matter what, ever, ever ever ever.

8. badmamainphilliesjamas - Feb 10, 2012 at 10:43 PM

I think I just found my baseball boyfriend!

9. mattkempsdetlefschrempfs - Feb 11, 2012 at 2:27 AM

McCarthy just shot up my fantasy draft board eerily similar to something else after seeing his LLOD

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3497)