Feb 10, 2012, 3:17 PM EDT
Luke Hughes injured his shoulder while playing winter ball back home in Australia and left the Perth Heat during the playoffs at the Twins’ request to undergo an MRI exam in Minnesota.
Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that the MRI revealed a sprained shoulder and Hughes will be shut down for 3-4 weeks, which likely means he’ll miss the Twins’ early spring training games.
Hughes is out of minor-league options, so if he doesn’t win a bench spot the Twins would have to trade him or risk losing the 27-year-old infielder on waivers. He hit .223 with seven homers and a .627 OPS in 96 games as a rookie last season and, if healthy, is expected to be a backup corner infielder.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 38
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (102)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)