Feb 10, 2012, 3:17 PM EST
Luke Hughes injured his shoulder while playing winter ball back home in Australia and left the Perth Heat during the playoffs at the Twins’ request to undergo an MRI exam in Minnesota.
Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that the MRI revealed a sprained shoulder and Hughes will be shut down for 3-4 weeks, which likely means he’ll miss the Twins’ early spring training games.
Hughes is out of minor-league options, so if he doesn’t win a bench spot the Twins would have to trade him or risk losing the 27-year-old infielder on waivers. He hit .223 with seven homers and a .627 OPS in 96 games as a rookie last season and, if healthy, is expected to be a backup corner infielder.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 51
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 36
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)