Feb 10, 2012, 12:33 PM EST
Howard Megdal had his credentials revoked by the Mets recently because they “didn’t like his reporting.” After reading his report about the witness who is going to testify that the Mets’ owners knew that Bernie Madoff was a scammer but stuck with him anyway, they’re gonna double revoke them.
It’s a pretty complicated storyline, so I recommend that you read the article rather than leave me to blockquote any of it.
This all goes to trial on March 19. For those who have forgotten, the bankruptcy trustee, Irving Picard, contends that the Mets owners knew or should have known that Madoff was scamming, and thus should be required to disgorge huge, huge dollars as a penalty. The Mets owners contend, however, that they were victims like everyone else.
Not that this story gives us any definitive insight as to what will happen. Picard has this witness. The Mets owners will testify about their lack of knowledge. Ultimately everyone’s credibility will be judged. Could go either way.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 66
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 121
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 83
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)