Feb 10, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
The Pirates apparently nixed a proposed A.J. Burnett-for-Garrett Jones deal, but Heyman reports that the sides are still talking and that it’s more along the lines of salary dumpage now. Specifically, they’re “a few million apart” on a deal that would basically send Burnett to Pittsburgh in exchange for salary relief.
And — setting aside how odd it is to be hearing the Yankees in need of salary relief — what would the Yankees do with the dollars saved on Burnett? Likely sign Eric Chavez for another year of his backup infield duty and then sign the other half of a DH platoon, likely in the form of Raul Ibanez.
No one sounds crazy optimistic that this will happen, but I’m struggling to think of the last time the Yankees were reported to be trying to do a deal and didn’t accomplish it.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 19
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 10
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 89
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (89)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)