The Yankees and Pirates are still talking about A.J. Burnett

Feb 10, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT

A.J. Burnett

The Pirates apparently nixed a proposed A.J. Burnett-for-Garrett Jones deal, but Heyman reports that the sides are still talking and that it’s more along the lines of salary dumpage now.  Specifically, they’re “a few million apart” on a deal that would basically send Burnett to Pittsburgh in exchange for salary relief.

And — setting aside how odd it is to be hearing the Yankees in need of salary relief — what would the Yankees do with the dollars saved on Burnett?  Likely sign Eric Chavez for another year of his backup infield duty and then sign the other half of a DH platoon, likely in the form of Raul Ibanez.

1. seahawks80 - Feb 10, 2012 at 10:36 AM

If I had his money I would retire before I moved my family to play for the Pirates.

• kinggeorge96 - Feb 10, 2012 at 11:11 AM

His family might enjoy it.. from what I hear, Pittsburgh is a pretty nice place.

Pirates aren’t good ambassadors of their city….

• dondada10 - Feb 10, 2012 at 1:37 PM

I went to Pittsburgh to see a Pirates game during a baseball road trip last year (Wrigley, PNC, Comerica, Toledo Mud Hens, New Yankee). The city is gorgeous and the people are overly friendly.

• cshearing - Feb 10, 2012 at 2:02 PM

This guy is still sore about SuperBowl XL.

2. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 10, 2012 at 10:50 AM

I hope it gets done, for both teams’ sake. If I’m AJ though, I’d have to feel a bit disheartened.

• cbaber26 - Feb 10, 2012 at 11:58 AM

if I’m AJ i would’ve started to feel disheartened about 3 years ago.

3. dolfi24 - Feb 10, 2012 at 10:51 AM

I think its funny that a seahawks fan wouldnt come to pittsburgh oh wait you are still crying because of the superbowl I got an idea win something before speaking again ps even the pirates have world championships

• hasbeen5 - Feb 10, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Punctuation kills,.!?

• seahawks80 - Feb 10, 2012 at 11:02 AM

LOL, he is an idiot.

• seahawks80 - Feb 10, 2012 at 11:00 AM

well if you must know jerkoff I am a Yankee fan and the Steelers did not beat the Seahawks, the long ago refs admitted blowing the SB.

• cshearing - Feb 10, 2012 at 2:04 PM

“…the Steelers did not beat the Seahawks…”
        Apparently he is delusional as well.

4. shaggylocks - Feb 10, 2012 at 10:59 AM

“No one sounds crazy optimistic that this will happen, but I’m struggling to think of the last time the Yankees were reported to be trying to do a deal and didn’t accomplish it.”

This statement, I assume, doesn’t include big name free agent pitchers who were swooped up by mystery teams…

5. shaggylocks - Feb 10, 2012 at 10:59 AM

This statement, I assume, doesn’t include big name free agent pitchers who were scooped up by mystery teams…

• shaggylocks - Feb 10, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Gah! The accursed double post! Mea culpa, mea culpa.

• seahawks80 - Feb 10, 2012 at 11:07 AM

I think he forgot about Cliff Lee already.

6. dolfi24 - Feb 10, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Don’t have a period on this computer due to water damage

• seahawks80 - Feb 10, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Or you are just an idiot.

7. dolfi24 - Feb 10, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Your right I’m an idiot. I changed computers now jag off. Still don’t know why Seahawks fans still gripe about a loss to the steelers. The Seahawks beat the Seahawks. I wouldnt move to Seattle for any amount of money

• seahawks80 - Feb 10, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Do you not remeber the refs admitting blowing several calls and the game? They had to get fat boy Jerome a ring and thats the only way to make that happen.

Why are you bringing up football anyway…lets compare Yankees and Pirates

• ottomanismydog - Feb 10, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Sure. Their farm systems both suck.

Last meaningful games, 1960.. MAZ!

Yankees are historically the best team in baseball, they’ve had/have talent and an owner who will invest. The Pirates are in a funk with the worst owner in sports. He knew that building a nice enough ball park would keep the club profitable for the next 15-20 years. When Nutting gets bought out, we’ll see you again in the fall.

As far as this being a baseball site, your name is Seahawks80, so you deserve to be made fun of till no end. Steelers Super Bowls = 6, Seattle Playoff appearances = 7. lol. Lastly, only true losers blame the outcome of a game on officials ie Mike Holmgren, who last checked is working in Cleveland.

• seahawks80 - Feb 10, 2012 at 11:15 AM

You do realize that the Yankees have been to 40 WS and the Pirates have been to 7 right?

8. uyf1950 - Feb 10, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Come out, come out where ever you are marinersnate and lyon810. Remember how adamant both of you were that this deal was DOA yesterday when Drew Silva posted his blog on the topic.

Like I said yesterday we hadn’t heard the last of it.

9. yankeesfanlen - Feb 10, 2012 at 11:43 AM

i visit friends in Pittsburgh and would love to see AJ pitch- for the Pirates.

10. randygnyc - Feb 10, 2012 at 11:57 AM

I don’t know anyone in Pittsburg, and I’d still love to have AJ pitch for the pirates.

11. nightrain42 - Feb 10, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Look, quit cryin about the superbowl. Y’all lost. That’s it. One bad call doesn’t make the game. Everything else was legit. Did Ben get in? Prob not, but we still had 3rd down and a 265lb tailback. I like those odds. The illegal block on the qb AFTER the int was the only terrible call. Blame it on ur TE who ran his mouth b4 the game and cldnt catch a cold in the game, ow the db who let the slowest wr in the game get behind him for a td. That’s why u lost dummy!

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 10, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Take this crap to PFT, along with the rest of the internet lingo (u, ur, b4, etc). We try to have a semblance of decorum around here.

• yankeesfanlen - Feb 10, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Proud to say I never go to PFT, like most Universe fans I let the Giants speak for themselves.

12. cur68 - Feb 10, 2012 at 12:09 PM

No word from Rambodiaz. I fear the worst: slumped in a depressed stupor over his keyboard, reading all this dull eyed and lacking the energy to tell everyone dissing on the Pirates to “GFY”. Don’t worry Rambo: Most of AJ’s problem in NY was Posada. That guy never a saw a situation he didn’t like a 4 seam FB in. AJ was getting rocked a lot thanks to Jorge. It seemed to me that Russ Martin sort of bought into that thinking and took away AJ’s slider and curve ball most of the time: hard to be effective as a starting pitcher when your catchers are forcing you into a 2 or 3-pitch mould. When he was in TO that guy had great curve balls and sliders. Used to OWN the Yankees and Sox with them. I hardly saw any evidence of them in NY. Resurrect that, and AJ is back in business.

• uyf1950 - Feb 10, 2012 at 12:19 PM

If anyone in the Pirates organization reads this blog and If there is a God in Heaven please, please take cur68’s advice. Get him out of NY.

• rambodiaz - Feb 10, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Oh, I’m here. I just was staying quiet for awhile since most of these Pirate-related posts seem to just be filled with non-sequiturs and the ramblings of the insane.

AJ in Pittsburgh coupled with a healthy Bedard could actually form a quasi-respectable one-two punch. I’m asking a lot, I know, but I’d feel okay with a rotation like that starts out that way. I just don’t want them trading Garrett Jones to acquire AJ, which apparently the Pirates don’t want to do either. He’s a nice piece to have, even though I fear him being our starting 1B like I fear Kevin Correia being in the rotation.

People can diss the Bucs all they want. The team deserves it for a generation of bad baseball. I really like the thought of AJ throwing to Barajas, though. And I like him in PNC; I think that could really help him. If it’s just for cash, or even a boring prospect, then it’s worth it.

• cur68 - Feb 10, 2012 at 5:08 PM

AJ was at his best when throwing to Barajas, in fact. They know each other well from their days in Toronto together. This could wind up being better than you think.

• rambodiaz - Feb 10, 2012 at 11:14 PM

And I actually think it might be pretty good. This feels like a year where experiments like this are going to be necessary in order to maintain a fanbase’s interest. As it stacks up right now, this is a dreadfully boring Pirates team. Cutch or not.

I totally forgot that Barajas caught AJ in Toronto. I think he’s going to have a good influence on the staff as it is. But it makes this possible NYY trade even more interesting.

13. nightrain42 - Feb 10, 2012 at 12:15 PM

I think the pirates shld make the deal. Jones doesn’t scare anyone. AJ won’t hve any pressure in Pittsburgh. Cld be just what he needs. And yes I am abbreviations. Sorry if someone outraged isn’t smart enuff to figure it out!

14. nightrain42 - Feb 10, 2012 at 12:21 PM

If there was ever a player who needs a change of scenery, it’s AJ.

15. stackers1 - Feb 10, 2012 at 12:24 PM

When Cashman makes a trade, you almost never hear anything about it until it happens. That’s why I don’t think this deal with the Pirates will material.

16. yankeesgameday - Feb 10, 2012 at 1:47 PM

AJ will pitch lights out in the NL Central for three months and the pirates will flip him to an NL wildcard contender by the end of July. I can guarantee he winds up in Atlanta, Milwaukee, Colorado or back in Miami for the stretch run.

17. uyf1950 - Feb 10, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Just saw this come across.

Jon Heyman@JonHeymanCBS
    seems to be a fair amount of optimism that Yankees, Pirates deal involving AJ Burnett will get done.

18. deathmonkey41 - Feb 10, 2012 at 3:01 PM

I would love to see AJ pacing back and forth across the mouth cursing at himself…in some other city other than NY.

19. nightrain42 - Feb 10, 2012 at 4:45 PM

@yankessgameday….u hit that right on the head. Trade deadline material. And correct on everything else too!!!

• yankeesgameday - Feb 10, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Thanks bro.

20. cackalackyank - Feb 10, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Ummm as far as struggling to remember when the Yankees didn’t complete a deal they wanted…I have two words for you TWICE….Cliff Lee. January of 2011 and July of 2010. Also, seems we wanted Johan Santana pretty badly and he’s a Met, but been on the DL since the middle of 2010 or so. No loss there I guess…..

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3172)