Wait, how is Josh Hamilton not taking responsibility?

Feb 10, 2012, 12:03 PM EDT

josh hamilton getty Getty Images

Gerry Fraley of the Dallas Morning News went on TV yesterday and had this to say about Josh Hamilton‘s recent fall off the wagon:

It’s time for Josh [Hamilton] to grow up. This thing about a week or so ago … he just cannot do that. But if also can’t wrap himself in the cloak of his faith, an accountability partner or the bartender, he’s gotta do it himself. There are a lot of people out there get up and deal with this same problem every day, and they handle it. It’s time for him to cut the free pass. You’re 30 and going to be 31 in May — you’ve got to deal with it yourself.

Did Fraley watch Hamilton’s press conference last week?  I did, and at no time did he blame anyone else but himself or do anything other than say how unacceptable his behavior was and how he needs to do better.  What “free pass” is Fraley speaking of?  I’ve seen none of it. Am I crazy?

Seems to me that Hamilton is proceeding like any other addict. Ups. Downs. Attempts to make his life better. It’s a life long struggle. He just happens to be doing it in public.

But I guess Fraley wants a cleaner narrative. One in which Hamilton is either a hero or a scoundrel. Too bad life doesn’t work like that.

1. charlutes - Feb 10, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Josh Hamilton has handled his struggles, recent, and past with admirable courage.

He’s a great example of why you should always believe in yourself and never give up.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 10, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Your amount of thumbs down are a little bizarre. I agree completely.

• Utley's Hair - Feb 10, 2012 at 1:23 PM

If you read some of the comments on the original post, you’d understand the number thumbs down. Totally mind boggling.

2. natstowngreg - Feb 10, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Fraley is ripping Hamilton for being an imperfect human being. Pathetic.

3. antlerclaws - Feb 10, 2012 at 12:20 PM

I wonder how people are going to take it if all the stuff Deadspin is reporting turns out to be true. The sex in the bathroom stall that was supposedly videoed by people with smart phones. It may put an entirely different spin on the story, with parents having explain to their kids about yet another sex scandal involving one of their heroes. I don’t think it’s beyond rumor so far, but it sure seems like a lot of people’s stories are matching up. Seems like when Hamilton falls off the wagon, his libido goes into overdrive, too. Listening to local sports radio in DFW, it just keeps getting seedier and seedier.

• Matt - Feb 10, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Yeah…it really will be a travesty when parents will have to, you know, parent…I was really hoping that I could go through life without ever having my kids know that people do stupid things, that people have sex, and that athletes are not heroes that they should strive to emulate at all times…

• thefalcon123 - Feb 10, 2012 at 12:43 PM

So, let’s see:

Explaining to your kids about drugs, and how they can make you feel awesome but totally derail your life, and there is a whole underground economy and and often time violent culture that surrounds them, and the war on drugs, and the hypocrisy of imprisoning small time offenders when politicians themselves have been small time offenders and that the addiction can haunt you the rest of your life…..fine.

Explaining to your kids that someone people do it…bad.

Also, I don’t care what parent’s have to explain to their kids. How is that my (or Josh Hamilton’s)problem? He hardly invented cheating (if true). Your kids are going to find out about it anyway. Odds are, if they’re older than 12, their up in their room finding out about it and things waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay worse on the internet right now anyway, so get over yourself.

• antlerclaws - Feb 10, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Okay, maybe I should clarify….it’s not that I don’t think parents need to talk to their kids about sex, drugs, life, etc. It’s just a little harder when someone’s (for better or worse) a hero, or role model. And it’s a little weird trying to explain seedy bathroom-stall-in-a-public-place sex. I just took my kids to Rangers Fan Fest last month and we all watched Josh Hamilton, up on stage, talking about his faith, giving kids hugs, and generally putting himself up there as a great family guy. I’ve been a Josh Hamilton DEFENDER all along, and I even know that so far, this is unsubstantiated, but it’s still a little uncomfortable talking about it. But thanks for the parenting advice, Anonymous Internet People.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 10, 2012 at 2:33 PM

But thanks for the parenting advice, Anonymous Internet People.

Not going to get on a moral high horse, but wouldn’t this be a good opportunity to explain to your kids that these athletes, while they may be your [our] kid(s)’s heroes, are human and make mistakes like everyone else?

• Matt - Feb 10, 2012 at 5:54 PM

I don’t believe I offered parenting advice anywhere…I was merely pointing out the idiocy of the “What about the kids, doesn’t anyone ever think of the kids?” nonsense.

• drunkenhooliganism - Feb 10, 2012 at 10:51 PM

I know that no one’s gonna see this because the story is now 12 hours old, but are we really concerned about kids who have Josh Hamilton as a role model learning that he had a drink and allegedly banged a girl in the bathroom this weekend? Were we not concerned that they may have access to the internet and find out about how he spent five (or however many it was) years of his life?

I have two young kids. I’m trying to be a role model for them. And I know that they’re gonna have some “role models” that are complete stains. I don’t know how to deal with it when it comes yet, but it’s my job to help them learn from those that live their life honorably and those that live their life dishonorably and the huge majority of people in the middle.

4. cur68 - Feb 10, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Oil Can Boyd agrees with Fraley. Go it alone, ignore advice and help. Then write a book about how “The Man” kept you down. That’s the ticket.

5. Kyle - Feb 10, 2012 at 12:34 PM

What a load of self-righteous baloney.

6. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 10, 2012 at 12:35 PM

He took the blame himself, he knows it’s up to him, and having a little help along the way is something he and millions of other addicts worldwide need to have in the process. Clearly Fraley has no idea what in the hell he’s talking about.

7. randygnyc - Feb 10, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Apparently falling off the wagon may only be the start of Josh’s problems if the stories of him f@cking some chick in a bathroom stall, turns out to be true.

I remember getting toasted on here for writing that when Josh’s father in law withdrew from his accountabuddy role, that I suspected his marriage was on the rocks and that a relapse was eminent. Actions speaks louder than words.

• cur68 - Feb 10, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Good for you, Randy. You predicted that a human being had human failings and would have them again. Well done. I predict that you will troll non-NY fans endlessly with innuendo and clap-trap all season long. Wooo, I’m right, lookit me….

8. danielcp0303 - Feb 10, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Well there’s a story going around that he cheated on his wife while he was “off the wagon”. I wonder if he’ll take responsibility for that, if it’s true of course.

9. JBerardi - Feb 10, 2012 at 1:03 PM

It wasn’t Josh Hamilton’s fault. His third base coach called him up and told him he should go out for a couple drinks.

In fact, if you really listen to what Josh Hamilton says, he never truly takes responsibility. “My third base coach told me to, I didn’t want it”. “It was a dark time in my life” (his excuse this time). Seriously, parse his statements. He always implies some outside element that made him do what he did (obviously this is tied up with his religion).

And hey, before you hit that thumbs-down button: prove me wrong. If I’m wrong and there’s lot of examples of him taking personal and exclusive responsibility for his actions, I’d love to hear them. But I submit that none of you will be able to provide such a quote from the man.

• Utley's Hair - Feb 10, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Hamilton saying that it’s a dark time in his life is not Hamilton making an excuse. It’s him explaining that there are external influences that could influence personal actions. We all feel them. Like the guy that cut you off, leading you to swerve a bit, after which momentum took your car into the other lane or the tree on the side of the road. Or the guy who avoids walking into someone by stepping out of the way, not seeing you trying to walk around him, bumping you off the curb and into the slush next to the curb.

Does he always take personal responsibility for things he does wrong? No. But do any of us? There is a difference between an excuse and an explanation.

10. phillysoulfan - Feb 10, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Something tells me it’s people like Fraley that make Hamilton turn to the bottle. Dude, you’re an idiot. Shut up.

11. drmonkeyarmy - Feb 10, 2012 at 1:37 PM

This guy is really over the top obviously. I think Hamilton is taking responsibility for his actions. However, at some point in time perhaps it is time to do things a bit differently. Maybe instead of relying on faith alone and an accountability partner….he should get a sponsor and go to some meetings. Maybe then he can realize that he is not alone in this struggle. That there are tons of people out there willing to offer sober support. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is a definition of insanity. I want to see him succeed in this battle…I want to see everybody succeed in the struggle against addiction. I know people have preconceived notions about AA but it has worked for millions of people world wide and is radically different then the general public believes.

• stex52 - Feb 10, 2012 at 2:01 PM

I’m inclined to agree with you. He is obviously fighting, but he needs another step up. Something clicks in him and we are reading about it on the Web. He needs another level of support or personal responsibility.

12. wussbasket - Feb 10, 2012 at 1:54 PM

i am so sad to see how little society is educated on addiction. i have never seen a single person ever be successful by coping with addiction alone. i’m a recovering addict and i have struggles every single day to stay sober and it’s not easy, i just can’t imagine the pressure and microscope that josh is constantly under while dealing with addiction. stay strong josh, and i will be praying for you.

• goforthanddie - Feb 10, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Depends on the person and the problem. I had an alcohol problem, decided one New Years Eve I was done drinking, and quit cold turkey. After a couple of months, I was 99% over it, no help or rehab. Yeah, I do still occasionally want a beer, but I know better. Cigarettes are a completely different story :(

13. billymc75 - Feb 10, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Funny if this were Dez Bryant he’d be a thug

• drmonkeyarmy - Feb 10, 2012 at 2:37 PM

I think Josh Hamilton himself would probably tell you that he was indeed a thug for a good part of his adult life.

14. Walk - Feb 10, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Personally if i was him i would be going nuts after the tragedy with the fan falling after he tossed a ball towards the stands. I have no way of knowing how i would have deal with something like that much less how i could have dealt with it if i was a recovering addict. To say he is going through dark times is an understatement.

15. notoriousdad - Feb 10, 2012 at 3:35 PM

He has had his free pass on the bs behavior. A wife and 4 or 5 kids at home and he is out at a bar knowing that he cannot have a drink. What a crock of crap. I don’t have one bit of sympathy for him. If the reports are true and he did have some kind of inappropriate behavior with a female I hope that his wife takes him to the cleaners. His kids deserve a better father.

Here is something I heard the other day that I agree with: If he were an African american and walked into the press conference with his hat on backwards and sunglasses and gave us a lame reason as to why he relapsed the sentiment would be completely different.

Note to the Rangers: Make him an offer with standards of conduct clauses and tell him it is this or nothing. At some point the team will grow tiresome of Josh getting special treatment.

• patg1041 - Feb 10, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Hello? Old Gator, where are you? Notoriousdad is obviously a piece of shit right? Where’s the soliloquy you fucking coward?

I couldn’t agree with this statement more. Josh Hamilton is free to drink as much as he wants and screw random chicks, but ENOUGH with the worshipping simply because he can hit a baseball. I really thought that after 9/11 and two wars that we were done worshipping athletes as heroes. I’m not rooting against him, but I have a question for all of those that are so ardently supporting him. If you guys were reading a story about some local guy arrested for getting drunk and having sex in a bar bathroom, who here would be supporting him? Take the fact that he’s a baseball player out of the equation and would there be a public outcry of support? Honestly?

• Old Gator - Feb 11, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Of course you couldn’t. You found another spiteful, sanctimonious jackass with the some bleached prissy pure moral high chair that you squat on to agree with you. We already knew there was more than one ignorant blowhard out there, just itching for a chance to prop up their own profound pettiness and disconnect from human realities by passing judgment on someone else as loudly and as self-promotionally as possible. As far as where I’ve been, attending a conference on media and popular culture in Albuquerque. Being surrounded by creative, educated people makes for a nice alternative to wasting my time on arguments with superficial, loudmouthed neanderthals.

Anyway, I’ve just gotten tired of arguing with self-righteous, holier-than-though morons like you when there are so many more interesting things to do around here. It’s as much of a waste of my time as you are a waste of carbon. So help yourself to the last word if you’d like. You’re boring me.

• patg1041 - Feb 11, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Old Gator, thank you. I will have that last word. I’m only expecting a little consistency here. After I wrote a post basically condemning, not just the actions of Hamilton, but the mindless support of him no matter what, the very first words that you wrote were not a well thought rebuttal of my argument, but to literally call me a piece of shit. It’s only natural that I would expect the same level of vitriol aimed at every single person that you disagree with. Anything less would be, dare I say, hypocritical. Remember, that word you needed a little help with? Afterall, the entire crux of your argument (when you actually got around to making one) was basically, how dare anyone judge Josh Hamilton for his actions. He’s only a poor, imperfect human being and what right does anyone have to judge him? Well, the thing is, if I’m not allowed to judge Josh Hamilton, exactly how do you rationalize judging me or anyone else for that matter? Am I not a poor, imperfect human as well? I understand that what he is doing is difficult, but there are people dealing with problems that a far, far worse, without the benefit of one, being paid millions of dollars to play a game, and two, the undying support of of countless people due solely to his ability to play said game. Recovering from his self created problems alone does not make him a noble figure. Cheating on his wife with random women in a bar certainly does not make him a noble figure. You can call it battling demons or descending to the depths of hell, or however you want to rationalize it. If you choose to continue the cult of athlete worship, well that is your choice.

16. crpls - Feb 10, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Why would anyone care if someone drank and got lucky in a bathroom stall?

Sex and alcohol are ok, y’know. (In response to non-Hamilton people doing it.)

17. Walk - Feb 11, 2012 at 5:02 AM

Wait getting lucky at the bar is not socially acceptable any more? Awww man next you know key parties are sooo last year and i gotta shave my ‘stache.

18. richwizl - Feb 11, 2012 at 11:02 AM

I agree with C.C. completely. J.H. fooled around with drugs and alcohol as a youngster (no big surprise there) and became an addict, unlike many others who aren’t so prone and are more fortunate to be able to enjoy a beer or two. Now, he has a lifelong struggle on his hands.

Three legends off to Cooperstown