Feb 10, 2012, 12:03 PM EDT
Gerry Fraley of the Dallas Morning News went on TV yesterday and had this to say about Josh Hamilton‘s recent fall off the wagon:
It’s time for Josh [Hamilton] to grow up. This thing about a week or so ago … he just cannot do that. But if also can’t wrap himself in the cloak of his faith, an accountability partner or the bartender, he’s gotta do it himself. There are a lot of people out there get up and deal with this same problem every day, and they handle it. It’s time for him to cut the free pass. You’re 30 and going to be 31 in May — you’ve got to deal with it yourself.
Did Fraley watch Hamilton’s press conference last week? I did, and at no time did he blame anyone else but himself or do anything other than say how unacceptable his behavior was and how he needs to do better. What “free pass” is Fraley speaking of? I’ve seen none of it. Am I crazy?
Seems to me that Hamilton is proceeding like any other addict. Ups. Downs. Attempts to make his life better. It’s a life long struggle. He just happens to be doing it in public.
But I guess Fraley wants a cleaner narrative. One in which Hamilton is either a hero or a scoundrel. Too bad life doesn’t work like that.
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 4
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 58
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 83
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 90
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 19
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)