Feb 10, 2012, 11:19 AM EST
Last week we learned that both Edwin Jackson and Roy Oswalt turned down offers from Pittsburgh, and in Jackson’s case he turned down the Pirates’ three-year, $30 million offer to sign a one-year, $11 million deal with the Nationals.
Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review notes that the Pirates also tried to keep Derrek Lee back by tendering him a contract in December via the arbitration process, which would have locked him into a one-year deal worth at least $7 million. Lee turned it down and is still trying to find a home as a free agent.
So why won’t anyone take the Pirates’ money? General manager Neal Huntington tried to explain:
Honestly, we just need to keep playing better ball. When we win, we’re going to see those results change, along with a lot of other things. We have a great pitcher-friendly ballpark. We have a lot of pieces in place. But the winning has to happen first. And it will. We still feel very good about the team we’ll have in 2012.
He’s right, of course, although to some extent it’s a chicken-or-egg situation because not being able to sign veteran free agents they target is, in theory at least, holding the Pirates back from doing more winning. As it stands now, Pittsburgh hasn’t finished .500 since 1992 and last season’s 72-90 record was the Pirates’ best since 2004.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 0
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 28
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 154
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 42
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 16
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (154)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (85)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (78)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (71)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (69)