Marlins unretire No. 5 for Logan Morrison

Feb 11, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT

Logan Morrison

Logan Morrison will have a new look this season. Nope, not just the new logo and uniforms, but also the number on his back.

Morrison broke the news via his Twitter account earlier this afternoon that he’ll switch to No. 5 this season after wearing No. 20 in his previous two seasons in the major leagues.

This is significant because no Marlin has ever worn No. 5. The number was retired at the Marlins’ first game on April 5, 1993 to honor of the team’s first president Carl Barger, who died of an aneurysm while attending baseball’s winter meetings in December of 1992. No. 5 was chosen because Barger’s favorite player was Joe DiMaggio.

Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald reports that the Marlins plan to commemorate Barger’s memory with a plaque in the new ballpark. Jackie Robinson’s No. 42 is now the lone number out of circulation for the franchise.

The relationship between the Marlins and Morrison appeared strained, at least to the outsider’s eye, following the controversy over the 24-year-old’s surprising demotion last season, but this is a significant and unexpected sign of commitment on behalf of the organization.

1. fearlessleader - Feb 11, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch tweeted earlier that, according to rumor, the Marlins had said they WOULDN’T un-retire number 5 for Albert Pujols if he signed with them. If that’s so, I hope LoMo’s RTing all of this to Albert, because I’m a bitter, lovelorn Cards fan and I’m not afraid to admit it.

2. sabatimus - Feb 11, 2012 at 9:49 PM

That’s really insulting to Barger’s memory.

• Alex K - Feb 11, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Why? They are still honoring him.

3. Old Gator - Feb 11, 2012 at 10:27 PM

I thought it was some sort of affirmation on Scrooge McLoria’s part that Tweeter will be as big as Joe DiMaggion someday. Hell, why not? He thinks Slobbering Ozzie is a genius, too.

As for the front of these stupid new Feesh uniforms, I will simply continue to dial M for mantis.

• protius - Feb 11, 2012 at 11:36 PM

DiMaggion…………Lmao

• cur68 - Feb 12, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Y’know prot, if ya didn’t start nuthin’, there wouldn’t BE nuthin’…

• protius - Feb 12, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Ya know cur, if I find funny I’m gonna laugh at it, so blow it out your ass.

• cur68 - Feb 12, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Dude, I told ya, keep your fixations about my ass a bit more on the down low. People can be judgmental and you seem such a sensitive soul.

• protius - Feb 12, 2012 at 6:19 PM

DiMaggion?……Lmao

• Utley's Hair - Feb 13, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Protius, I’d say blow it out your own pompous, judgmental and hypocritical a$$, but your really not worth it.

• Utley's Hair - Feb 13, 2012 at 12:43 AM

I am anxiously awaiting being slammed by you for the little crumb I left you in the previous comment.

• protius - Feb 13, 2012 at 1:11 AM

DiMaggion?……Lmao

• Utley's Hair - Feb 13, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Your need to give yourself a thumbs up on your comments is amusing and pathetic.

• protius - Feb 13, 2012 at 2:14 AM

You’re a Phillies fan. I couldn’t possibly say anything worse about you than that.

• Utley's Hair - Feb 13, 2012 at 7:38 AM

Somebody who was trying to make themselves look smarter and you more of an idiot would have pointed out a grammatical flaw in your less than witty, cliched retort there.

• protius - Feb 13, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Blah, blah blah blah blah , idiot, blah blah blah blah blah grammatical flaw blah blah blah blah blah retort there.

Phillies fan, throws his sh!t at people, yada yada yada. Incoherent moron, yada yada yada. Your parents are siblings, yada yada yada.

• Utley's Hair - Feb 13, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Well, now. It seems I touched a nerve, now doesn’t it? Doesn’t it feel nice to be constantly told that your grammar/spelling/punctuation are not perfect? Hmm…I guess it doesn’t. Dipsh!t.

• protius - Feb 13, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Blah, blah blah blah blah , touched a nerved, blah blah blah blah blah, feels nice, blah blah blah blah blah Dipsh!t.

Had incestuous affair with older sister, yada yada yada, while father watched yada yada yada. Still wets his bed, yada yada yada pizza face.

• Utley's Hair - Feb 13, 2012 at 7:08 PM

So mature, Mr. Retired Archaeologist or whatever it was you were calling yourself. Sounds like you need to reexamine whether you should be teaching (or so you would have us believe) these disadvantaged youth, or maybe taking remedial classes.

So sad.

• protius - Feb 13, 2012 at 10:19 PM

So mature blah blah blah, need to reexamine, blah blah blah, disadvantaged youth, blah blah blah, so sad.

Yada yada yada, Utley’s Scrotum yada yada yada, you talk like a jerk. Yada yada yada, sanctimonious douche bag. Yada yada yada, your mother was lying on the bed naked, yada yada yada, but you just had to have sex with the orangutan. Yada yada yada, better than your sister.

• Utley's Hair - Feb 14, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Spoken like a true 5-year-old—only without all the articulation. Why not just accept the fact that you are one of the biggest douchebags around? I feel really sorry for you and any wads you might have spawned into junior douchebags. Talking down to people is not the way to garner respect. Talking jibberish like you have been is really only a way to garner a whole lot of pity. Or maybe you had a stroke while typing? Again, I feel sorry for you.

• protius - Feb 14, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Blah blah blah, a true 5-year old, blah blah blah really feel sorry for you. Blah blah blah, talking down to people, blah blah blah jibberish like you. Blah blah blah, I feel sorry for you.

Yada yada yada, scroll up.Yada yada yada, you came looking for me. Yada yada yada, ad hominem attack, yada yada yada I counter attacked. Yada yada yada, you couldn’t take it, yada yada yada, ‘cause you’re a pussy. Yada yada yada, you’re in way over your head. Yada yada yada, you’re not my intellectual equal, yada yada yada, that’s why I talk down to you, yada yada yada.

Thank you for playing. Good bye looser.

P.S. You spelled gibberish wrong…….jerk off.

• Utley's Hair - Feb 14, 2012 at 3:48 AM

Um…yeah…right…I was the one that resorted to the defensive “blah blah” and “yadda yadda” crap up there, so I’m the “looser.” The only reason I am not your intellectual equal is that you are intellectually inferior to me and just about everyone else here on HBT, jagoff. You truly are an idiot.

With your attitude and intellect, I sincerely hope to God that you are lying through your teeth when you say that you are charged with molding others’ minds, because that would be a real travesty. Just go the hell away.

• cur68 - Feb 12, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Gator, I confess, the stupid uniforms have kind of grown on me. I’m not sure when it happened but somewhere along the way I found myself kind of liking them. How Morrison gets this singular honor is entirely the bigger deal for me. Spending time being a dick to your teammates and underwhelming on the field seems to pay off for him. And here I was labouring under the delusion that skills and character were what counted: I’m such a dunce.

• Old Gator - Feb 12, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Ah, you cannot understand because you never read The Peter Principle in your impressionable youth. I also saw A Man for All Sasons when I was about 17 or so – and the great Paul Scofield as Thomas More’s little bit of quality time advice to his daughter Meg (Susannah York, who was downright edible in those days) about how sloth, stupidity and bad faith profit greatly in life while more admirable traits go unrewarded made a big impression on me too. I must confess that the Feesh’s solicitude towards Tweeter – even his short lived exile to the Big Easy, which in my book wouldn’t exactly qualify as “tough love” – looks and feels more like the relationship between a demanding but confused parent and a callow, if slightly recalcitrant, child than like the employer-employee relationship that it actually is.

Perhaps it’s just that it has dawned on them that they’re going to have their hands full with Slobbering Ozzie and Lamebraino and are in for a good sulk by the Hanster after a few balls dribble past him down the third base line and cost the team a couple of games, and of all their potential problem spots Tweeter might be the simplest to pacify.

Who knows? Anyway, I’m sitting at my gate in Albuquerque waiting for my flight back to the swaying palms and garish, taxpayer-funded baseball stadiums to await the outbreak of Baseball 2012. I’ve delivered my paper to the 15th Annual Grateful Dead Caucus at the Southwest/Texas Popular Culture Association Conference on Grateful Dead lyricist Robert Hunter to thunderous applause, commented sagely on the film version of Kerouac’s The Subterraneans (the second worst film ever made by someone not named Ed Wood Jr., after only Benigni’s Pinocchio) in the Beats and Counterculture session, drew the flattering attention of a seriously inebriated lady fiddler (I doubt if she was wearing her contact lenses) and the Deadhead party and hootenanny in the dining room at the Hotel Blue, had my annual dose of carne adovada, fry bread with honey and scorpion tacos…and submitted a lucid, forceful proposal to the conference director for a baseball seminar on the subject of the semiotics of baseball jargon and/or statistics as metaphor in baseball parlance. We shall see how this pans out.

I went past the Albuquerque Isotopes stadium this morning en route to the airport and noticed the posters for season tickets and the pictures of the star players in dynamic poses by the box office windows and….and some unidentified one sitting near me at the laptop table by gate 9 just farted. Ah, I think I see my plane taxiing in now….

4. tonystrong - Feb 12, 2012 at 9:10 PM

No number should be un-retired unless the guy murdered someone or pulled a heinous act like Jerry Sandusky. That’s just my opinion. I mean obviously the guy who it was retired for wasn’t a player but to me, once you retire a number it’s retired. Shouldn’t have retired it in the first place if you were just going to change your mind. Choose another number, which Morrison had no problem doing the past couple of years and move on. In most cases, if you’re great, they’ll remember your name, not your number. At least that’s what players should aim for. He’s Babe Ruth, not # 3!

5. unlost1 - Feb 13, 2012 at 9:44 AM

big woop. the guy didn’t even play

6. 1972wasalongtimeago - Feb 13, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Good. Never made sense at all. Barger loved Joe DiMaggio so they had to retire #5? That was the lamest reason for a number retirement ever. Made the Heat’s hanging Jordan’s 23 and Marino’s 13 in the rafters look reasonable.

The old stadium was on Carl Barger Drive. They’re going to put up a plaque. Joe Robbie has less of a presence at Joe Robbie Stadium then Carl Barger did. Enough is enough.

Wear it well LoMo. Hope you go .320/33/110 in that #5.

7. foreverchipper10 - Feb 13, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Wait one minute here…….so are you telling me Jeff Conine’s number isn’t retired?!?

• 1972wasalongtimeago - Feb 14, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Neither is Orestes Destrade’s

Why is Wren out and Gonzalez is not?
  1. R. Castillo (2697)