Feb 11, 2012, 12:04 PM EST
The odds are against Miguel Cabrera‘s third base experiment being successful, but you can’t say he isn’t taking the transition seriously. Cabrera was added to HBT’s BSOHL roster after trainer Radhi Muhammad of 4.40 Fitness and Athlete Development tweeted this picture of his impressive physique late last month, but now we have some details of his actual weight loss.
According to Tom Gage of the Detroit News, teammate Alex Avila told ESPN’s Baseball Tonight yesterday that Cabrera has “lost 20-plus pounds and hopes to lose at least 15 more.” The 28-year-old estimated that he was at about 270 pounds entering spring training last year, so Jason Beck of MLB.com thinks that likely puts him in the range of 250-255 pounds. That’s still pretty big for a third baseman, but at least the dude is motivated.
Be afraid, AL pitchers. Be very afraid.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (360)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)