Miguel Cabrera is in the Best Shape of His Life Pt. 2

Feb 11, 2012, 12:04 PM EDT

New York Yankees v Detroit Tigers - Game 3 Getty Images

The odds are against Miguel Cabrera‘s third base experiment being successful, but you can’t say he isn’t taking the transition seriously. Cabrera was added to HBT’s BSOHL roster after trainer Radhi Muhammad of 4.40 Fitness and Athlete Development tweeted this picture of his impressive physique late last month, but now we have some details of his actual weight loss.

According to Tom Gage of the Detroit News, teammate Alex Avila told ESPN’s Baseball Tonight yesterday that Cabrera has “lost 20-plus pounds and hopes to lose at least 15 more.” The 28-year-old estimated that he was at about 270 pounds entering spring training last year, so Jason Beck of MLB.com thinks that likely puts him in the range of 250-255 pounds. That’s still pretty big for a third baseman, but at least the dude is motivated.

By the way, Muhammad tweeted a new picture of Cabrera yesterday in his final day of workouts with Magglio Ordonez:

source:

Be afraid, AL pitchers. Be very afraid.

1. illcomm - Feb 11, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Hey DJ. How many tune are you guys going to repeat the same article. HBT was good and is now becoming pretty repetitive and pathetic. Quality had give down. Step your game up. Bleacher Report is much better.

• D.J. Short - Feb 11, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Please stick around, I have a pretty awesome slideshow coming up.

• eddieapoc - Feb 11, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Bleacher report….. BWHAHHAHAHAHA…. hahahaha

Bleacher report. oh man your killing me.

• paperlions - Feb 11, 2012 at 12:56 PM

You know. He’s right, HBT is repetitive. Every year the same articles. How many more “this guy got traded”, “this team signed a FA”, “spring training is on the way”, “this team made the playoffs”, “this guy got hurt”, “baseball game recaps”, and “award voting” articles are we going to have to endure? Every year the same stuff. You can set your calendar by it, it’s almost like, there is some kind of a schedule or something where particular events always happen at the same time of every year.

• yettyskills - Feb 11, 2012 at 2:20 PM

He was correct right up until the mentioned Bleacher Report and then lost every shred of creditability for 5 lifetimes.

• phillyphreak - Feb 11, 2012 at 4:27 PM

1) I’m quite excited for this slide show DJ.

2) I thought it was Blechar Reptor.

2. cur68 - Feb 11, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Excellent news for Miggy &, from the looks of things, Ordonez, too. Real critical to know who’s gonna be in what kind of shape come 2012 opening day. Looks to me like 3rd base might not be so onerous for Cabrera after all. Given his height & wingspan, not many liners are going to get over him or by him, even if he doesn’t move his feet. Crashing home for bunts, given the weight loss, might not be so bad either. I’m certainly glad to see Miggy dealing with the off season so much better this time than he did last season.

On a side note I don’t get all the bitching about BSOHL: this is important from the standpoint of generating interest in the team to sell tickets, promote the club outside the home city, betting, ranking for fantasy league, and it injects an element of fun in what can be an otherwise boring off season. If you don’t like BSOHL stuff, then go read something else: here’s a link to the Sumo for you, illcomm, if out of shape dudes is what interests you…

• 24missed - Feb 11, 2012 at 5:36 PM

I love the BSOHL stuff. I agree with lots of what you said and I’ll take it a bit further. As a man-loving female baseball fan, it is fantastic when there are gratuitous pictures of guys looking fine. Thank you, D.J. for making my evening by sharing this picture.

• cur68 - Feb 11, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Sooooooo…no Sumo for you, I take it?

• 24missed - Feb 12, 2012 at 1:53 PM

BSOHL stuff is just hilarious. And great for other fantasy league material. Whoops. That said, I’ll pass on the Sumo wrestlers. Although their garb is quite tantalizing.

• cur68 - Feb 12, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Tantalizing, eh? Well, good for you. Someone’s gotta like that Sumo get-up: might as well be own it.

3. proudlycanadian - Feb 11, 2012 at 12:45 PM

I just cat wait to see him field bunts at third base.

• proudlycanadian - Feb 11, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Edit Function “can’t”

4. pisano - Feb 11, 2012 at 1:38 PM

The only way he can be in the best shape of his life is if he shed 60lbs, and he hasn’t had enough time since the end of the season to do that, so I call bullsh#t.

5. baseballisboring - Feb 11, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Yeah I definitely don’t want him manning the hot corner for my team, but I do like the way Cabrera took this whole thing in stride.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (3032)