Feb 11, 2012, 10:11 PM EDT
The late-November stabbing death of Mariners outfielder Greg Halman is still fresh on the mind of many players in the Seattle clubhouse as spring camp begins to get underway in Peoria, Arizona.
One player in particular.
Mariners left fielder Mike Carp considered Halman his best friend, writes MLB.com beat writer Greg Johns. Carp attended Halman’s funeral in the Netherlands a few months back and got a sleeve of tattoos this offseason matching ink that the deceased Dutch outfielder wore.
Carp also made Halman jersey shirts for the entire group of players in M’s camp with a quote from Jackie Robinson on the back: “A life is not important, except in the impact it has on others’ lives.” “It’s just a reminder to not take life for granted,” Carp told MLB.com.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)