Feb 11, 2012, 10:11 PM EST
The late-November stabbing death of Mariners outfielder Greg Halman is still fresh on the mind of many players in the Seattle clubhouse as spring camp begins to get underway in Peoria, Arizona.
One player in particular.
Mariners left fielder Mike Carp considered Halman his best friend, writes MLB.com beat writer Greg Johns. Carp attended Halman’s funeral in the Netherlands a few months back and got a sleeve of tattoos this offseason matching ink that the deceased Dutch outfielder wore.
Carp also made Halman jersey shirts for the entire group of players in M’s camp with a quote from Jackie Robinson on the back: “A life is not important, except in the impact it has on others’ lives.” “It’s just a reminder to not take life for granted,” Carp told MLB.com.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)