Feb 11, 2012, 10:11 PM EDT
The late-November stabbing death of Mariners outfielder Greg Halman is still fresh on the mind of many players in the Seattle clubhouse as spring camp begins to get underway in Peoria, Arizona.
One player in particular.
Mariners left fielder Mike Carp considered Halman his best friend, writes MLB.com beat writer Greg Johns. Carp attended Halman’s funeral in the Netherlands a few months back and got a sleeve of tattoos this offseason matching ink that the deceased Dutch outfielder wore.
Carp also made Halman jersey shirts for the entire group of players in M’s camp with a quote from Jackie Robinson on the back: “A life is not important, except in the impact it has on others’ lives.” “It’s just a reminder to not take life for granted,” Carp told MLB.com.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 68
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 7
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (86)