Feb 11, 2012, 8:35 PM EDT
Napoli requested a salary of $11.5 million and was offered $8.3 million from the Texas front office when arbitration figures were filed last month. It took the two sides about three weeks to find a middle ground.
Napoli hit .320 with a 1.046 OPS, 30 homers and 75 RBI in 113 games last year for the Rangers. The 30-year-old is currently scheduled to become a free agent in the fall, along with D’Backs catcher Miguel Montero and Cardinals backstop Yadier Molina.
In-their-prime catchers never seem to hit the open market. The money could get wild.
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 22
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 10
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 100
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (101)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)