Feb 11, 2012, 4:02 PM EDT
UPDATE: Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald is hearing that the Marlins offered Cespedes less than the $40 million sum being reported by Reynoso.
3:15 PM: Marlins’ president David Samson told Jayson Stark of ESPN.com on Tuesday night that the club was considering making an offer to Cuban outfielder Yoenis Cespedes during their meeting in Miami this week and apparently that’s exactly what happened.
Eric Reynoso of Cafe Fuerte (link in Spanish) was told by a source “close to the negotiations” that the Marlins have offered Cespedes a six-year deal worth $40 million. This contract would surpass the $30.25 million deal Cuban left-hander Aroldis Chapman signed with the Reds in January of 2010.
Cespedes, 26, only met with the Marlins before returning to the Dominican Republic on Thursday night and Reynoso was told that he has no immediate plans to meet with other major league clubs. The Cubs, White Sox, Tigers and Orioles are among some of the other teams who have expressed strong interest. Cespedes is allowed to negotiate with MLB teams, but he can’t officially sign a contract until he is unblocked by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC).
(Hat-tip to MLB Trade Rumors for the link)
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 21
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 38
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 21
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 32
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (164)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)