Feb 11, 2012, 4:02 PM EST
UPDATE: Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald is hearing that the Marlins offered Cespedes less than the $40 million sum being reported by Reynoso.
3:15 PM: Marlins’ president David Samson told Jayson Stark of ESPN.com on Tuesday night that the club was considering making an offer to Cuban outfielder Yoenis Cespedes during their meeting in Miami this week and apparently that’s exactly what happened.
Eric Reynoso of Cafe Fuerte (link in Spanish) was told by a source “close to the negotiations” that the Marlins have offered Cespedes a six-year deal worth $40 million. This contract would surpass the $30.25 million deal Cuban left-hander Aroldis Chapman signed with the Reds in January of 2010.
Cespedes, 26, only met with the Marlins before returning to the Dominican Republic on Thursday night and Reynoso was told that he has no immediate plans to meet with other major league clubs. The Cubs, White Sox, Tigers and Orioles are among some of the other teams who have expressed strong interest. Cespedes is allowed to negotiate with MLB teams, but he can’t officially sign a contract until he is unblocked by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC).
(Hat-tip to MLB Trade Rumors for the link)
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)