Feb 11, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
We’re less than 10 days away from pitchers and catchers reporting to spring training, yet Roy Oswalt is still looking for a home. We were bombarded with rumors of a potential deal with the Cardinals two weeks ago, but things have been relatively quiet recently.
The general assumption has been that Oswalt would prefer to sign with either the Cardinals or Rangers in order to be closer to Mississippi home and Missouri farmland, but Jayson Stark said yesterday on ESPN’s Baseball Tonight that the veteran right-hander won’t be joining Texas. The Phillies have kept tabs on the situation recently, but Stark also ruled them out as an option.
“He wanted to go to Texas. That’s not gonna happen. He wanted to go back to Philadelphia. That’s not gonna happen. He had some interest in the Reds. That doesn’t seem like it’s going to happen. So his choices still come down to, I think, going to Boston, where they have a clear need but he doesn’t seem to want to play, and going to St. Louis, where all his friends say he would love to be. But to do that, he has to do it on their terms.”
So it’s likely down to the Cardinals or Red Sox. And maybe, just maybe, the Reds, though general manager Walt Jocketty insisted this week that he hasn’t had any contact with the player.
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 8
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 11
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 79
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 86
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 24
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)