Feb 11, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT
Stephen Drew is currently rehabbing from surgery to repair a fractured right ankle and sports hernia surgery, but we haven’t heard too many updates about his progress. Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic wrote last week that the shortstop had turned down multiple requests this offseason for an interview. Well, Drew finally broke his silence today.
The Diamondbacks’ official Twitter account passed along word earlier this afternoon that Drew spoke with the media and said that while he is “optimistic,” he’s not sure he’ll be ready for Opening Day.
This isn’t much different than the information provided by Diamondbacks’ general manager Kevin Towers in a web chat with fans last week. Drew is currently swinging the bat and participating in baseball-specific drills, but it’s tough to nail down a specific timeline until he tests the ankle in game action.
Drew, who turns 29 in March, batted .252/.317/.396 with five home runs, 45 RBI and a .713 OPS over 86 games last season before fracturing his ankle on July 20. His contract includes a $10 million mutual option for 2013 or a $1.35 million buyout.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)