Feb 11, 2012, 4:08 PM EDT
UPDATE: Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News was told by a source that there’s a “good chance” Burnett gets traded to the Pirates.
1:09 PM: The Yankees and Pirates continue to negotiate a potential A.J. Burnett trade. We learned yesterday that the Bucs were willing to eat $10 million of the $33 million remaining on Burnett’s deal, but the Yankees weren’t quite satisfied with that.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com just reported that the Pirates are actually one of four teams in on Burnett, one of which is on his no-trade list. However, the Yankees view the Pirates as the trade partner that makes the “most sense.”
It may sound a little funny that Burnett is drawing interest from multiple teams coming off a year in which he posted a 5.15 ERA, but if the Pirates could potentially get away with paying him $5 million a year for the next two years, that could sound pretty good to someone else. For all his issues, Burnett has logged at least 186 2/3 innings in each of the last four seasons. Have to fill those innings somehow.
And hey, it’s entirely possible that the Yankees are just floating this stuff in order to get the Pirates to kick in more cash.
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 0
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 13
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 46
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)