Feb 11, 2012, 4:08 PM EDT
UPDATE: Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News was told by a source that there’s a “good chance” Burnett gets traded to the Pirates.
1:09 PM: The Yankees and Pirates continue to negotiate a potential A.J. Burnett trade. We learned yesterday that the Bucs were willing to eat $10 million of the $33 million remaining on Burnett’s deal, but the Yankees weren’t quite satisfied with that.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com just reported that the Pirates are actually one of four teams in on Burnett, one of which is on his no-trade list. However, the Yankees view the Pirates as the trade partner that makes the “most sense.”
It may sound a little funny that Burnett is drawing interest from multiple teams coming off a year in which he posted a 5.15 ERA, but if the Pirates could potentially get away with paying him $5 million a year for the next two years, that could sound pretty good to someone else. For all his issues, Burnett has logged at least 186 2/3 innings in each of the last four seasons. Have to fill those innings somehow.
And hey, it’s entirely possible that the Yankees are just floating this stuff in order to get the Pirates to kick in more cash.
- Carlos Gomez diagnosed with sprained wrist 1
- Michael Wacha to start Thursday for the Cardinals 3
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 49
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 34
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 48
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (221)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (76)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)