Feb 11, 2012, 4:08 PM EST
UPDATE: Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News was told by a source that there’s a “good chance” Burnett gets traded to the Pirates.
1:09 PM: The Yankees and Pirates continue to negotiate a potential A.J. Burnett trade. We learned yesterday that the Bucs were willing to eat $10 million of the $33 million remaining on Burnett’s deal, but the Yankees weren’t quite satisfied with that.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com just reported that the Pirates are actually one of four teams in on Burnett, one of which is on his no-trade list. However, the Yankees view the Pirates as the trade partner that makes the “most sense.”
It may sound a little funny that Burnett is drawing interest from multiple teams coming off a year in which he posted a 5.15 ERA, but if the Pirates could potentially get away with paying him $5 million a year for the next two years, that could sound pretty good to someone else. For all his issues, Burnett has logged at least 186 2/3 innings in each of the last four seasons. Have to fill those innings somehow.
And hey, it’s entirely possible that the Yankees are just floating this stuff in order to get the Pirates to kick in more cash.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)