Justin Smoak gives up burritos, hoping for strong 2012

Feb 12, 2012, 5:01 PM EDT

smoak getty Getty Images

While not quite a Best Shape of His Life tale, this weekend report from Larry Larue of the Tacoma News Tribune does profess Mariners first baseman Justin Smoak as having an improved physique:

“I gave up Mexican food – man, I could crush burritos,” Smoak told Larue. “And pizza. I could crush those, too. I gave up bread, ate almost entirely meat and vegetables – and working out two hours a day, four days a week didn’t hurt. My wife loved it, because she always ate well and worked out. I’ve been (in camp) three days, hitting in the cage. I don’t know that the ball is going any further when I hit it, but I know I’m in much better shape. This is how I was in college.”

Smoak, 25, registered a .234/.323/.396 batting line, 15 home runs and 55 RBI in 489 plate appearances last season. The Mariners are hoping that the former first-round pick of the Rangers can take a big step forward in 2012 and help cure some of Seattle’s chronic offensive ills.

1. shawnuel - Feb 12, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Burritos can be very healthy if you use brown rice tortillas and a lot of fresh veggies with a little bit of lean chicken or scrambled egg. Smoaky is smart giving up the bread. Sprouted grain and alternative grains like Spelt and Quinoa are good in moderation. I’ll have to send him some recipes!

• The Baseball Idiot - Feb 12, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Grown men should not use the word “veggies”.

Never.

At any time.

For any reason.

• Bryz - Feb 12, 2012 at 6:11 PM

I’ll stay out of your house, then.

• twfoutz - Feb 13, 2012 at 7:36 PM

You just did.

• The Baseball Idiot - Feb 14, 2012 at 6:05 AM

Fine, in the future, we’ll refer to it as the “v-word”.

• JBerardi - Feb 12, 2012 at 6:24 PM

“Burritos can be very healthy if you use brown rice tortillas and a lot of fresh veggies with a little bit of lean chicken or scrambled egg.”

That’s… just awful. It’s not a burrito; it’s a round salad. Healthy food trying to masquerade as unhealthy food is simply compromised in both directions. Salads are better as salads and burritos are better with large quantities of greasy pork in them.

• cur68 - Feb 12, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Shawn, dude, what can I say? If you can eat like that, then sir, my hat is off to you. You are a better man than I, with cleaner arteries and fat free blood. IMO, though, that’s not food you describe there, man. That’s what food eats. I’d feed such a thing as that brown rice burrito to a cow or something then eat the cow before I have that…hooves and all. Still, I can admire anyone that chooses to eat such fare: a bit like I admire the contestants in Fear Factor or something, I guess.

• shawnuel - Feb 17, 2012 at 7:00 PM

It’s funny..I am actually a morbidly obese fellow who is attempting to extend my years by eating much better. I have to admit that I am really much happier eating this way and exercising regularly.

• Mike - Feb 21, 2012 at 2:47 AM

@shawnuel so am I. I’ve lost 20 pounds so far in this year, and I’m still moving forward, but I don’t eat that.

• 24missed - Feb 13, 2012 at 2:52 PM

I eat like you do, for the most part. Except, I’m vegetarian.

Both lifestyles share eating healthy in common. Eating like this is really easy to maintain and does give you oodles of energy. Head to Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, a local farmstand or a healthstore and there’s an abundance of great produce to go against your ‘grain’ and begin to release the grease.

That’s just the way I like my food. To each their own. When I cook for others, I’ll make whatever they like, however they want. And I’ll make my own version for me. We coexist.

2. baseballisboring - Feb 12, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Burritos > Exercise

3. Bryz - Feb 12, 2012 at 6:12 PM

He may not be in the BSOHL, but I suppose this does qualify him for the “No Longer Eats Like A Viking” club.

• wlschneider09 - Feb 12, 2012 at 7:50 PM

My scandanavian heritage informs me that giving up burritos has nothing to do with no longer eating like a viking. The closest the vikings come to burritos is lefse, and that’s not even on the same continent.

• Bryz - Feb 12, 2012 at 9:30 PM

And my Scandinavian heritage informs me that you must not have read the Dmitri Young post from weeks ago.

Or you did read it and you’re just taking my post literally. In that case, you’ll be a fan of the Literal Doctor from Arrested Development. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_HD2MMNv_c

• wlschneider09 - Feb 12, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Sorry, I was just trying to be funny. Sometimes it sounds much better in my head. I’ll work on that sarcasm font.

• Bryz - Feb 13, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Do not worry. The operators of my sarcasm detection machine have been sacked, and the supervisors of said operators have also been sacked.

4. Ben - Feb 12, 2012 at 6:16 PM

If professional athletes can’t be total fatties, who can be? :(

• JBerardi - Feb 12, 2012 at 6:36 PM

The American public in general?

5. dlevalley - Feb 12, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Does anyone else think that 2-hour workouts, 4 days a week is pretty… uninspiring?

I mean, I’m not expecting 2-a-days all winter, but if my fat a** works out more than our first baseman, I’m starting to get a little worried.

• wlschneider09 - Feb 12, 2012 at 7:51 PM

He’s a baseball player and a first baseman at that. How much does he need to work out?

• sportsdrenched.com - Feb 13, 2012 at 9:37 AM

I’m always leary when some one says they spent 2 hours “working out” or “at the gym”.

You can spend 2 hours working out at a gym. But if you spent 30 minutes on the eliptical, 30 minutes looking at some cute girls ass, 30 minutes looking at your own ass, and then 30 minutes changing clothes…you didn’t do much.

Now if you said I spent two hours doing HIIT, that would be awesome, and I would say right on, and ask about specidics.

Finally, Burritos are not inherently bad for you. Too MANY burritos are bad for you.

• foreverchipper10 - Feb 14, 2012 at 10:08 AM

I go to the gym 3 times a week for 90 minute clips so, yes. A little uninspiring. But hey, at least I am keeping to my new year’s resolution.

6. brewcrewfan54 - Feb 12, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Burritos aren’t so bad as long as you aren’t pounding them down at 2am on top of 15 beers.

• sportsdrenched.com - Feb 13, 2012 at 9:40 AM

15 Beers = 2250 calories!

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 13, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Makes me glad to not be a beer man.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2985)