Feb 12, 2012, 11:23 AM EDT
From Nick Cafardo’s Sunday notes column in the Boston Globe, a must-read every weekend:
Yoenis Cespedes, CF, free agent – There was a lot of talk late in the week that the Orioles were the sleeper team for him. The Marlins, Tigers, and Cubs are also interested, but the Orioles are very aggressive in their pursuit of foreign-born players.
Cespedes paid a visit to Miami last week to meet with Marlins officials and was reportedly made a six-year offer worth a little under $40 million. If the O’s can top that proposal and the ones made by other interested clubs, they’ll obviously have a shot.
Cespedes, 26, batted .333/.424/.667 with 33 home runs and 99 RBI in 90 games last year in Cuba.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 47
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 65
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (98)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)