Feb 12, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
It appears that source was onto something.
According to ESPN’s Buster Olney, the Pirates and Yankees have the “framework” of a deal “in place.”
Olney says the two teams haven’t agreed on the other players who will be swapped nor the exact dollar amount that will change hands — two of the biggest factors in any trade — but they’re talking within a “common ground” and beginning to make steady progress.
Burnett, 35, posted a 5.15 ERA and 173/83 K/BB ratio in 190 1/3 innings (32 starts) last season. The Yankees are expected to eat more than $20 million of the $33 million remaining on his current deal.
UPDATE, 10:47 AM: ESPN New York’s Andrew Marchand says the Yankees are engaged in trade talks with four different teams, but are only “50-50″ to actually part with Burnett before spring training.
UPDATE, 11:02 AM: According to the New York Post‘s Joel Sherman, the Yankees know they can make a Burnett deal with the Pirates but are waiting to hear from other interested teams.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 1
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 98
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 54
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (112)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful