Feb 12, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
It appears that source was onto something.
According to ESPN’s Buster Olney, the Pirates and Yankees have the “framework” of a deal “in place.”
Olney says the two teams haven’t agreed on the other players who will be swapped nor the exact dollar amount that will change hands — two of the biggest factors in any trade — but they’re talking within a “common ground” and beginning to make steady progress.
Burnett, 35, posted a 5.15 ERA and 173/83 K/BB ratio in 190 1/3 innings (32 starts) last season. The Yankees are expected to eat more than $20 million of the $33 million remaining on his current deal.
UPDATE, 10:47 AM: ESPN New York’s Andrew Marchand says the Yankees are engaged in trade talks with four different teams, but are only “50-50″ to actually part with Burnett before spring training.
UPDATE, 11:02 AM: According to the New York Post‘s Joel Sherman, the Yankees know they can make a Burnett deal with the Pirates but are waiting to hear from other interested teams.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 11
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 56
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (141)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)