Feb 13, 2012, 8:00 PM EST
We recently passed along word that Dmitri Young was going to have a tryout for the Pirates at the team’s spring training complex in Bradenton, Florida. The scheduled workout took place today, according to Tom Singer of MLB.com.
The slimmed-down Young fielded balls at first base and in the outfield, ran the bases and hit from both sides of the plate. Pirates manager Clint Hurdle was in attendance and Singer hears that he “saw enough to remain curious.”
Young is now 38 years old and hasn’t played in the big leagues since 2008 as a member of the Nationals, so the best-case scenario is that he gets an invite to spring training. “Da Meat Hook” also recently worked out for the Phillies.
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 22
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 153
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (169)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (100)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (87)