Finally, confirmation that Phil Hughes is in The Best Shape of His Life

Feb 13, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT

Phil Hughes

We’ve had several stories about Phil Hughes‘ conditioning this winter. Word that the Yankees didn’t like that he was out of shape last year. Word that he was re-dedicating himself to conditioning this offseason.

Because of the uncertainty, Kopy, our resident keeper of the BSOHL roster, has had Hughes listed in the “awaiting confirmation” category, with all of us waiting to see which New York writer was the first to get to Tampa and write “Phil Hughes looks good.”  The winner of that derby is Kevin Kernan of the New York Post:

I think the “buffed up” seals it.  I defer to Kopy on this one because he’s the keeper of the roster, but this has to take Hughes out of “awaiting confirmation” and into … the BSOHL.

1. yankeesfanlen - Feb 13, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Nice to have a third Yankee on the list. Of course, Beep-beep doesn’t even need to be mentioned, it’s a foregone conclusion that he wll be in BSOHL through the 2025 season.

• uyf1950 - Feb 13, 2012 at 2:47 PM

There was never a doubt in my mind the Hughes would come to camp in better shape this year. The Yankees rotation has some real potential going into the season.

2. cur68 - Feb 13, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Kopy had Hughes on the roster this AM. I’m hoping someone does field Team BSOHL in Fantasy Ball. I wouldn’t doubt that these guys are gonna pretty good. Not as good as a team of all Beaver Wranglers, of course, but pretty good with lots of Veterany Presence, young talent looking to bounce back, and a soupçon of grit mingled with Vincente Padilla’s erect, shining, uprightedness…whatever the hell that is.

• 24missed - Feb 13, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Did you mention BSOHL and Padilla’s erect, shining, uprightedness? That is one BSOHL that I am thankful there is no picture posted here, today.

• cur68 - Feb 13, 2012 at 3:29 PM

You got standards, 24. I like it. You can be my HBT girlfriend: its a strictly platonic job for you. Mainly involves pointing out what a stud I am then ditching me for Jonny5 out of the blue because ‘its you not me’. I look forward to your “Dear Cur”. You can pretty much paraphrase Pujol’s rejection of St. Louis if you like.

• 24missed - Feb 13, 2012 at 3:59 PM

I accept the proposed platonic job. And it always starts out platonic…You stud, you.

• jimbo1949 - Feb 13, 2012 at 5:41 PM

I’d be expecting: Dear Sir, you cur

• deathmonkey41 - Feb 13, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Speaking of boyfriends- what ever happened to your cur doppelgänger that would follow you around on here?

• cur68 - Feb 13, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Dunno, death. He just disappeared one day. I miss that little dingleberry. He made me laugh. Most effort anyone ever put into paying any attention to me…except for new HBT Girlfriend, 24missed, of course. She’s the soul of caring, wit, charm and brains and boy, is she a looker.

3. kopy - Feb 13, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Hughes is definitely BSOHL. The “awaiting confirmation” category is now obsolete. I’ll admit that I removed it a couple days ago and lumped Hughes in already, but I did it with the utmost confidence that the NY media would justify my premature actions. Also, the word “new” in the tweet is a striking bode of confidence. Hughes is not a more buff Hughes, he is a whole new Hughes that happens to be more buff. I think we can write him in for 20 wins despite a 4.50 ERA right now. If the Yankees win the World Series, it will be due to conditioning, and not silly things like talent or payroll.

Official 2012 BSOHL Roster

3B: Longoria
      1B: M Teixera
      LF: Cespedes
      SS: Lowrie
      C: Martin
      2B: Hall

At this point, we have a very talented team, both offensively and defensively. Slotting Lowrie into replace Tejada really makes this team much better.

Bench:

S5: Tillman

CL: Wilson
      BP: Grilli
      BP: Lynn
      BP: Padilla
      BP: C Guitierrez

Team is weak on the pitching, though we do have three quality arms out of the bullpen. But anyone anticipating anything from Big Z is riding on hope.

If I was a betting man, I would bet this team to miss the playoffs in the AL East, and win any other division.

4. Jonny 5 - Feb 13, 2012 at 3:56 PM

The Yankees have 4 BSOHL candidates and Seattle along with Stlouis are tied at 3. Does this mean they are going to all be extra awesome this season?

• yankeesfanlen - Feb 13, 2012 at 4:21 PM

The (#28) New (#28) York (#28) Yankees (#28) are (#28) ALWAYS (#28) extra (#28) Awesome!!!! (#28)(#28)(#28)

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (4173)