Jason Grilli is in The Best Shape of His Life

Feb 13, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT

This is about as straight-forward a BSOHL as you can get.

Pirates reliever Jason Grilli posted this to his Facebook page, thanking his personal trainer. I’d like to think that the capitalization of “Life” is evidence that Grilli is aware that BSOHL is a thing now:

Best shape of my Life Thanks to @RhFitPro A.K.A. Randy Hadley, A.K.A. Mr. Miogi – Ready to go to the beach in Bradenton and continue the process! 2012 Ready!

Well, it’s actually spelled Miyagi, but I suppose we’ll give Grilli a pass here.  Why? Because along with that status update comes a picture of him running on the beach, which gives me all kinds of “Rocky III” Apollo-Balboa training sequence warm fuzzies.

Wait, those aren’t warm fuzzies. Those scenes were actually kind of creepy when you think about it.

source:

1. wlschneider09 - Feb 13, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Well, we were short on relievers and Grilli was pretty effective last year…. but I just don’t want to picture him in shorts like those hugging Carl Weathers. Or Carl Willis.

A completely obscure side thought, I think Rich Garces should be our pitching coach. Just for the irony.

2. kopy - Feb 13, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Yonder Alonso – SD
    Carlos Gutierrez – MIN
    Mark Teixeira – NYY
    Dmitri Young – FA
    Yoenis Cespedes – FA

• thomasjonesbicep - Feb 13, 2012 at 11:31 AM

kopy – please note paragraph #3 of this article. It appears KC will finally crack the BSOHL team…. from the broadcast booth!

• kopy - Feb 13, 2012 at 11:35 AM

I don’t know if there would be a better choice to announce BSOHL games than “The Wonder Dog” Rex Hudler. Maybe he could team up with Hawk Harrelson?

• thomasjonesbicep - Feb 13, 2012 at 11:45 AM

regardless of what kind of shape Hudler is in, Ryan Lefebvre (KC’s play-by-play guy) will really have his work cut out for him making these broadcasts bearable now that The Wonder Dog is on board. Something tells me I’ll get my audio from Denny on the radio this year.

3. Ben - Feb 13, 2012 at 11:13 AM

My brother once hit a double off Grilli in little league. Struck out a number of times too as I recall. His dad, Steve, was also the loser in the longest game in pro baseball history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Grilli

• paperlions - Feb 13, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Nice story bro.

4. kiwicricket - Feb 13, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Question….
    Apollo-Balboa beach training……or the Volleyball match in TopGun.
    Which is more ‘awkward’ feeling ?

• kopy - Feb 13, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I choose Top Gun. I recall the camerawork being much more awkward. Also, Rocky has developed a much stronger background story prior to the beach scene so that you can be extra sure they’re just good bros.

• hep3 - Feb 13, 2012 at 12:16 PM

And of course there are all of the Tom Cruise rumors; NTTIAWWT.

5. kiwicricket - Feb 13, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Ps. Far too lenient giving him a pass for “Mr. Miogi”. Awful.

• Francisco (FC) - Feb 13, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Morita-Sama is turning over in his grave.

6. El Bravo - Feb 13, 2012 at 11:40 AM

I love pie.

7. 24missed - Feb 13, 2012 at 2:02 PM

I like the real guy element with Grilli running on the beach. It adds a nice touch to BSOHL.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4997)