Feb 13, 2012, 11:49 AM EDT
Last week Rockies general manager Dan O’Dowd criticized Jhoulys Chacin for being one of the few players not reporting to spring training in the best shape of his life, saying that he wasn’t pleased with the right-hander’s offseason workouts and added weight.
Chacin spoke to Rafael Rojas Cremonesi of the Venezuelan newspaper Meridiano and SB Nation blog Purple Row, refuting O’Dowd’s comments:
I came to Arizona this past Monday. I have not stopped training during the winter, both in my country and here. I have always done the best job I could all throughout these past few months. I don’t know where these comments came from, I believe they’re the result of what other people have told him, instead of his own personal evaluation.
I am looking forward to meeting O’Dowd personally and I am confident that he will have a different conclusion after a first-hand evaluation. He will realize he made conclusions based on incorrect claims made by other people. There’s a myth in the baseball world which states Latin players do not work at their hardest during the winter. We return to our home countries and people think all we do is party. That couldn’t be further from the truth.
Chacin added that he’s currently 226 pounds, which is actually two pounds lighter than when he reported to spring training last year and four pounds lighter than his weight at the end of the season. O’Dowd indicated that Chacin reported to spring training at 218 pounds last year, so clearly there’s been a mixup somewhere along the way.
And while there are probably better ways for both sides to address the situation than going through the media, I give Chacin a lot of credit for responding in what seems like a very calm, intelligent manner to that public criticism from his boss. Whether or not he’s actually in worse shape this year is another issue, of course.
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 2
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 56
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 48
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 9
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games