Feb 13, 2012, 11:49 AM EDT
Last week Rockies general manager Dan O’Dowd criticized Jhoulys Chacin for being one of the few players not reporting to spring training in the best shape of his life, saying that he wasn’t pleased with the right-hander’s offseason workouts and added weight.
Chacin spoke to Rafael Rojas Cremonesi of the Venezuelan newspaper Meridiano and SB Nation blog Purple Row, refuting O’Dowd’s comments:
I came to Arizona this past Monday. I have not stopped training during the winter, both in my country and here. I have always done the best job I could all throughout these past few months. I don’t know where these comments came from, I believe they’re the result of what other people have told him, instead of his own personal evaluation.
I am looking forward to meeting O’Dowd personally and I am confident that he will have a different conclusion after a first-hand evaluation. He will realize he made conclusions based on incorrect claims made by other people. There’s a myth in the baseball world which states Latin players do not work at their hardest during the winter. We return to our home countries and people think all we do is party. That couldn’t be further from the truth.
Chacin added that he’s currently 226 pounds, which is actually two pounds lighter than when he reported to spring training last year and four pounds lighter than his weight at the end of the season. O’Dowd indicated that Chacin reported to spring training at 218 pounds last year, so clearly there’s been a mixup somewhere along the way.
And while there are probably better ways for both sides to address the situation than going through the media, I give Chacin a lot of credit for responding in what seems like a very calm, intelligent manner to that public criticism from his boss. Whether or not he’s actually in worse shape this year is another issue, of course.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)