Josh Hamilton: don’t be like Whitney Houston, Mmm-kay?

Feb 13, 2012, 5:59 PM EDT

Whitney Houston

Pop quiz, hot shot! You have a sports column due tomorrow and can’t think of a topic. Then, suddenly, a big national story erupts in a world that has absolutely nothing to do with sports.  You feel like it’s just too big a leap to make and you hesitate to try to squeeze a sports story out of it.  But you really need to meet deadline. What do you do? WHAT DO YOU DO?!

Well, if you’re Patrick Rishe from Forbes, you do this:

Days after Mr. Hamilton’s relapse, the Rangers hired Shayne Kelley to essentially play watchdog to ensure that Mr. Hamilton will stay clean going forward.

Perhaps, Mr. Kelley, you should have Mr. Hamilton sit down and read all about the rise and fall of Ms. Houston.  Have him YouTube some of her best performances when she was at the height of her career, and then look-up photos and videos of her during her troubled times. Because this will remind Mr. Hamilton that nothing is forever and that substance abuse destroys.

Look, that’s not the worst intrusion of non-sports tragedy into the world of sports writing we’ve seen — this is, by far — but it’s pretty awful.

But sure, Josh Hamilton. Don’t be like Whitney.  Now that someone has pointed that out to you, I’m sure you’ll be A-OK.

1. Kyle - Feb 13, 2012 at 6:01 PM

LOL

2. Mike Luna - Feb 13, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Forbes is such a joke when it comes to sports coverage. Why do they even bother? Do they think they have something to say about it? Have they happened upon some truth buried in the sand?

Leave the sports coverage to the Craig Calcaterras and Mike Lunas of the world!

…or maybe just the Calcaterras.

• Mike Luna - Feb 13, 2012 at 7:12 PM

On the other hand, I like what this guy’s doing, because it means I could probably do it too! I want a job at Forbes!

More accurately, I want a vacation where I occasionally do work and Forbes sends me a check in the mail!

3. The Rabbit - Feb 13, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Re: Worst intrusion of non-sports tragedy into the world of sports writing we’ve seen
    Good Lord, Craig! How long did you have to research to find that piece of dreck?

• yankeesfanlen - Feb 13, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Not only that, but at the bottom it says don’t comment on tragedies

• Craig Calcaterra - Feb 13, 2012 at 7:34 PM

I am quite familiar with it:

• headbeeguy - Feb 13, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Craig – I hate to be that jerk that points out typos, but you accidentally inserted the word “maybe” in your title.

• The Rabbit - Feb 14, 2012 at 12:50 PM

The article did look familiar when I read it, so it had to be Shysterball.

4. cur68 - Feb 13, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Wow. WTF?

5. aaronmoreno - Feb 13, 2012 at 6:49 PM

He’s not even vaguely aware of Josh Hamilton’s story, is he?

• cur68 - Feb 13, 2012 at 9:14 PM

This is the only logical conclusion. Rishe just seems like a total hack after this.

6. paul621 - Feb 13, 2012 at 7:19 PM

FYI: the headline structure you used suggests that Hamilton is the speaker, which, in this case, is insanely misleading.

• foreverchipper10 - Feb 14, 2012 at 2:39 PM

That or Mr. Mackey. Mmmkay?

7. Ben - Feb 13, 2012 at 7:25 PM

It baffles me that

a. he author assumes everyone’s demons are identical
    b. people think that making someone aware of their (or someone else’s) demons will somehow change their behavior. Addiction doesn’t just go away by recognizing it as such.

• Jonny 5 - Feb 13, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Ben. Benny, Ben, Ben, you just don’t get it my friend. Should Hamilton read this article, then go out to the bar to drink, and then somebody puts a Whitney Houston song on the jukebox, there is no way Hamilton will be able to drink any more at that point. Well at least until the George Thorogood song comes on anyway…..Baby steps Ben, baby steps…

8. baseballisboring - Feb 13, 2012 at 8:20 PM

*rolls eyes* *adds Patrick Riche to list of people I hate*

K, moving on…

9. brewcrewfan54 - Feb 13, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Pretty stupid. There’s some big differences between Whitney and Josh. Since Josh got sober several years ago he’s never denied it when he has fallen off the wagon. Ms Houston however either lept denying she had a problem or would go to rehab and start doing drugs again as soon as she got out. So it seems to me that while Ms Houston would go to rehab she never really believed she had a problem. At least Josh does know. And maybe record labels should start a drug testing program so their artists have to mKe a choice between doing drugs or making music without label backing.

10. mjay424 - Feb 13, 2012 at 9:07 PM

A reach? Yes. However, it’s not like Josh Hamilton will be immune to wrecking his life or losing it as long as he dabbles in drugs or alcohol (the last couple of instances) when he knows he has had problems with addiction. So maybe he wouldn’t die of what we believe Whitney Houston did but drink and drive maybe?

I like Hamilton. Great comeback story, fabulous talent. The Forbes piece, too rich for me with his premise but to say no connection can be made, well, I can’t buy that either.

11. Pierre Cruzatte - Feb 14, 2012 at 7:53 AM

Note that this guy is a Forbes “contributor,” not a staff editor. That means he’s compensated on page views. Dude knew what he was doing here.

12. tuftsb - Feb 14, 2012 at 10:46 AM

The day after the deathn the New York Post front cover said “Diva’s Last Hours”. I thought for sure that they would go with “Houston, We Have A Problem”.

13. phukyouk - Feb 16, 2012 at 11:56 AM

I’m sorry, but did this really Happen?
    (the link from Craig)