Kevin Goldstein releases his annual top 101 prospects list

Feb 13, 2012, 12:16 PM EST

Matt Moore Getty Images

Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus has posted his annual list of the 101 best prospects in baseball and it’s in front of the site’s paywall, making it free to read.

I won’t spoil the whole list, which along with Baseball America and Keith Law of ESPN.com are my three must-reads each year, but Goldstein’s top five are Rays left-hander Matt Moore, Nationals outfielder Bryce Harper, Angels outfielder Mike Trout, Rangers shortstop Jurickson Profar, and Braves right-hander Julio Teheran.

Goldstein’s rankings are always an interesting, unique mix of scouting reports and statistical analysis, so definitely check it out.

1. proudlycanadian - Feb 13, 2012 at 1:01 PM

This is a joke. # 54 is Daniel Norris of the Blue Jays who was a steal as a second round draft pick last year but he has not yet pitched as a professional. Totronto’s top pitching prospect is Drew Hutchinson and he is not on the list. I did not see Nestor Molina on the list either. I can’t take this guy seriously.

• phillyphreak - Feb 13, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Maybe because Nestor Molina isn’t a top 101 prospect?

• proudlycanadian - Feb 13, 2012 at 1:30 PM

He is.

• paperlions - Feb 13, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Well, neither Goldstein nor Law think Nestor is a top 100, he didn’t make the 10 that missed or sleeper list either…..so, hey….at least they agreed on something.

• phillyphreak - Feb 13, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Scouts have said his stuff is “average” overall. He didn’t make Law’s top 100 either; he also didn’t make Law’s list of prospects who just missed. Missed MLB.com’s list too (despite your thoughts on this paricular list).

I’m not going to argue if you want him lower in the list…whatever. But I have no idea how your conclusion can be “I can’t take this guy seriously.”

• proudlycanadian - Feb 13, 2012 at 2:28 PM

The White Sox gave up a major league closer for Molina even though the closer had a team friendly contract and was under their control for several years.

• illegalblues - Feb 13, 2012 at 2:33 PM

yeah they did, mr. proudlycanadian. crappy deal for the chi-sox, huh?

• phillyphreak - Feb 13, 2012 at 2:35 PM

A team with a terrible farm system, making a bad trade for a player doesn’t make said player a top prospect.

• proudlycanadian - Feb 13, 2012 at 2:47 PM

For the record, Molina is a former infielder who started 2011 as a relief pitcher. Over 130.3 minor league innings with 3 teams, he was 12 & 3 with a 2.21 ERA 148 K’s and 16 walks. His WHIP was 1.00. This is a top 100 prospect.

• phillyphreak - Feb 13, 2012 at 3:41 PM

pc- I’m not sure I agree. Based on the scouting reports he doesn’t seem to be a huge upside guy anyway. Maybe he has a higher ceiling than I think but his talent seems to be closer to his floor?

Minor league stats are weird though. Competition, leagues, ballpark all matter. I don’t think we can just look at a stat line and say that means he’s a top 100.

• phuckphilly99 - Feb 13, 2012 at 2:34 PM

No Daniel Norris or Drew Hutchinson, eh? What’s that all aboot?

2. bbk1000 - Feb 13, 2012 at 1:13 PM

There is ony one franchise I look at time and time agins when it comes to the draft….it’s the Rays.

I’m hoping the Mets got some luck with Wheeler from the Giants, who seem to know pitching.

3. phillyphreak - Feb 13, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Rabble rouser. This (insert prospect evaluator’s name) is a total fraud. How can he not rate (my favorite player or guy who I know the name of) at number 1? I’ve seen him play (less than or equal to 1 time) and he is the total real deal.

• snowbirdgothic - Feb 13, 2012 at 1:48 PM

It’s his East Coast/ESPN/Yankees-Red Sox bias, which led him to not pick a Yankee or a Red Sock for his top 5.

4. paperlions - Feb 13, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Not everyone uses the same criteria to rank prospects. Some favor ceiling, some favor probability, most favor some combination while weighting proximity to the majors as well. Of course, there is also variation in opinion.

With respect to Cardinal prospects, Goldstein seems to weight probability more than ceiling, as he has a couple of guys ranked (Adams, Wong) whose best case scenario is being a solid average player….while that is of great value, that is not the definition of a top prospect…at least, it isn’t to me….but maybe he’s just higher on Adams and Wong than others are….who knows.

In any case, between this list and Law’s the Cardinals have 8 different players ranked and one “just missed”. Not too shabby.

5. hallor618 - Feb 13, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Shelby Miller is the real deal, can’t wait to see him up with the Cards soon

6. lanzurrah - Feb 13, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Padres own 10% of that list…not bad!

7. ispysomething7 - Feb 13, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Yikes! I know you shouldn’t put touch stock into this, but it’s now or never for the Indians. Only 1 player?? And they’ve been touting their minor league system for years. Jimenez better work out…….

8. homelanddefense - Feb 14, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Red Sox and Yankees both have 4 guys on the list. I guess you are right Bozo, the sox system is bare……

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5799)