Marlins on deck for Showtime series “The Franchise”

Feb 13, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT

showtime

UPDATE: Confirming what Variety reported last month, MLB officially announced today that the Marlins will be Showtime’s subject for this season of “The Franchise.” New episodes are expected to begin around the All-Star break.

==========

Last year Showtime featured the reigning World Series champion Giants on their documentary series “The Franchise” and they’re close to naming the Marlins as the subject for the show’s second season.

Jon Weisman of Variety reports that “Showtime and Major League Baseball are believed to be close to a deal” that would allow the cameras to follow the Marlins around for the season, which could be pretty amazing television considering the presence of Ozzie Guillen and Carlos Zambrano, Heath Bell and Mark Buehrle, Jose Reyes and Hanley Ramirez, and Logan Morrison and his Twitter account, not to mention the new ballpark and new uniforms.

According to Weisman the series drew an average of 651,000 viewers per show last year, with eight total episodes chronicling the Giants’ unsuccessful attempt to repeat as champs.

I’m hoping following the Marlins around goes so well that Ozzie gets his own spin-off show and maybe even does some crossover guest appearances on “Shameless.” I think he’d have great chemistry with Emmy Rossum.

1. phillieschamps2012 - Jan 18, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Isn’t giving Ozzie Guillen and his team of misfits their own TV show akin to giving a 6 year old a pack of matches and some lighter fluid?

• cur68 - Jan 18, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Same thing they do with “Big Brother” and “Survivor”. You wait, this will be a massive hit.

• foreverchipper10 - Feb 14, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Hey! I like Survivor! New season premieres tomorrow. It’s a guilty pleasure so what. :)

Also, this makes me sad I don’t have Showtime. This should be a massive hit with the personalities on this club.

2. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 18, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Oh cool, so with the Marlins and the gentlemen on that payroll, it’ll be an MLB version of “The Real Housewives of…”

3. thomas2727 - Jan 18, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Ozzie, LoMo, Big Z etc.

This will be funnier than any scripted crap on tv these days.

Let the hilarity ensue

4. goawaydog - Jan 18, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Maybe they could sign Maury Povich to be the Marlins “hitting” coach

5. henryd3rd - Jan 18, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Old Gator! Are you getting this? What a joke. Hopefully Showtime will shed some light on the ongoing Federal investigation into the selling of securities for that stadium and the fact that Loria / Sampson and Co may in fact become targets of said investigation

• Francisco (FC) - Jan 18, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Hmm… maybe Craig or Aaron can give Old Gator a phone call (or his next of kin) to check on him, he may have fainted or suffered some kind of seizure after reading this. I can imagine the drool all over the keyboard…

• cur68 - Jan 18, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Nah, he said he’s painting his dining room in a previous post today. He’s probably painted so much that he’s high on the fumes. Given his repertoire of experimenting with hallucinogens to freak out the co-eds I predict he’s doing a Will Ferrel naked jog down to the campus of The University of Florida at present. Given his age this could take him all day.

• ptfu - Jan 18, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Gotham had the Bat Signal when it needed Batman. We need a signal for Old Gator–a gator-signal? Something that’ll let our resident aquatic aged reptile know a topic is begging for a generous helping of snark, wit, and obscure hilarious references. Or that the Marlins have done something interesting (yes, I know this is redundant).

• Old Gator - Feb 13, 2012 at 6:40 PM

I actually have a Gator signal – or logo, if you will – that my ne’er-do-well artist and ambient sound composer son drew for me. Be patient – it will manifest here sooner rather than later.

• Old Gator - Feb 13, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Gentlemen, rest assured that I am sharpening my digital scalpels even as I write this. I’m doubling up on the tofu, kefir, acai and protein drinks, so determined am I to live long enough to watch – and comment – on this series. But how shall I comment? What approach shall I take? Freudian? Jungian? Mythographic? Deconstructive? Marxist? Feminist? That is the question.

Or – hmmmm – maybe I’ll work a smorgasboard of critical approaches, tracing the history of media criticism in the era of fashionably left-wing dominance of media and communications studies by using one type of approach on each new episode.

By the All-Star break, huh? Okay, that gives me plenty of time to work this out.

Ohboy! Who ever thought I’d have this much fun with my clothes on at my age?

• cur68 - Feb 13, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Challenge: all comments without using the letter “e”. Double down, and use no periods: one long run on comment minus words with the letter ‘e’. Now THAT sounds like fun.

6. xmatt0926x - Jan 18, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Wow. More opportunities for the attention-whore Logan Morrison. After all he does need to “expand his brand” as he and his agent have said. Thats what all just above average players should be concentrating on, isn’t it?

• baseballisboring - Jan 19, 2012 at 2:17 AM

So hard on people you don’t know on the internet.

7. hasbeen5 - Jan 18, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Does anybody know why the Giants series ended when it did last year? Did the Giants want the camera crew gone before the home stretch or did Showtime pull the plug?

8. frenzyfish - Jan 18, 2012 at 4:04 PM

I would watch…just as long as they put a muzzle on Samson. He could not sound like a bigger idiot!

• Old Gator - Feb 13, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Au contraire, the unmuzzled Chihuahua will be a prime ingredient in this fiasco. Anyway, what would you muzzle him with – a thimble?

9. okwhitefalcon - Jan 18, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Though it would’ve been cool if the Cardinals would’ve accepted Showtime’s offer, I’m glad they turned it down now.

This will be full on trainwreck TV for so many reasons.

10. Old Gator - Jan 18, 2012 at 5:16 PM

I think this is hilarious.The birth of a whole new genre: Surreality TV. Where it really should be is on the Cartoon Channel between reruns of the original Ren and Stimpy and Invader Zim.

Anyway, what’s a little more civic humiliation to Macondo one way or another? Elian Gonzalez. Humberto Hernandez. Crazy Joe Carollo. Don Johnson’s unnatural relationship with his pet alligator. Hanging chads. The miraculus shrinking palms of Manuel Diaz and Sons. The most lopsided recall elections in history. Macondo feeds on absurdity the way vegetables grow plump on shit.

Will I be watching this? Is Godzilla radioactive?

• Gamera the Brave - Feb 13, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Gator, you are wise to bring Godzilla in on this. Perhaps even a cameo on an episode of the Franchise, stomping Sun Life stadium into dust?…

• Old Gator - Feb 13, 2012 at 5:06 PM

You have your fear, which might become reality, and you have Slobbering Ozzie, which is reality.

• foreverchipper10 - Feb 14, 2012 at 1:25 PM

I hope you are not poking fun at Ren and Stimpy or Invader Zim. :)

11. hbdbrowns33 - Jan 19, 2012 at 12:05 AM

the show was really good I just hope they do more than 8 episodes this time so they can get more in depth with some of the lesser known guys on the roster

12. baseballisboring - Jan 19, 2012 at 2:19 AM

So Showtime and MLB are close to a deal…don’t the Marlins have a say in this?

13. deathmonkey41 - Jan 19, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Will there be any guest appearances by Bruce Chen?

14. hallor618 - Feb 13, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Worth noting, the Cardinals passed this opportunity up right away when they were approached. World class organization.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate