Feb 13, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
In the NBC SportsTalk segment I linked earlier I said that the Cardinals’ Mike Matheny will have the biggest impact of all new managers this year. And, with all respect to Matheny’s skills and intellect, it would be a negative one. No hate here, just acknowledging that he’s not Tony La Russa. No one is, and I don’t think the Cardinals make the playoffs last year without La Russa at the helm.
But I always liked Matheny as a player — and as an Ohio dude with West Virgnia roots who spent some important time in Michigan — I have a distinct kinship with him — so I hope I’m very wrong about that.
Anyway, for far more than a kneejerk assessment of his chances, I highly recommend this story about Matheny from Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. For those who don’t know him, it will provide a nice introduction to the kind of cat Matheny is.
For those who do know him, there’s a great anecdote in there from Matheny’s childhood involving crawdad hunting, his father, his brother and a giant pile of dirt. I can’t decide if that scene could have been dropped into “Tree of Life” as-is and fit perfectly or if, rather, I should do exactly that same thing with my two kids the next time they piss me off.
Leaning the latter.
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness