Pablo Sandoval on weight critics: “I’ll shut their mouths when spring training begins”

Feb 13, 2012, 4:00 PM EST

Arizona Diamondbacks v San Francisco Giants Getty Images

Ten days ago Giants manager Bruce Bochy voiced some mild concern about Pablo Sandoval‘s conditioning, offering a little dubiousness that Sandoval’s reported 25-pound weight gain was “all muscle,” and saying “he knows he has some work to do.”

Today Carlos Alberto Zambrano at Lider en Deportes – translated for us by amigo-of-HBT, Nick Collias — reported that Sandoval didn’t take too kindly to Bochy’s mild criticism and waxed defiant about it:

“I’m not interested in what people say about me. I’ll shut their mouths when spring training begins. That’s the date when I need to arrive in shape.”

“They’re going to say I’m fat because of seven pounds? Seven pounds isn’t anything. But people like to talk. I don’t pay attention to those things. I trust in what I can do on the field and always achieve my objectives.”

“I want to know what those people who’ve said bad things about me are going to say when I arrive in perfect physical condition. I don’t have more fat on my body; the truth is that I’ve gained muscle mass.”

They make you take your shirt off at spring training, dude, so I guess we’ll all know next week.  And no matter how much fat is on those bones, something tells me that Bochy isn’t going to take too kindly to being told that Sandoval is going to shut his mouth.

I mean, they won a World Series without Sandoval being particularly effective. Something tells me that Bochy would be willing to try it again if he was sufficiently pissed off about it.

1. uyf1950 - Feb 13, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Does this mean he’s a candidate for you guessed it the BSOHL list?

• sdelmonte - Feb 13, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Round is a shape!

2. marshmallowsnake - Feb 13, 2012 at 4:07 PM

He looks like a chubby Rick Fox.

3. El Bravo - Feb 13, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Pablo will have a monster year this year. He’ll be on my fantasy team again this year, and barring injury, I think he’ll be one of the more productive 3Bs this season. He still won’t get any RBIs if the rest of his team does their usual. Here’s hoping Posey bounces back nicely.

4. samu0034 - Feb 13, 2012 at 4:20 PM

I’m really getting pretty tired of all of the bashing of fat players that’s been going on this offseason. If the guy can still hit, who cares? Bruce Bochy SHOULD shut his yap until he has some first hand evidence and until Sandoval is clearly affected by being tubby. If Sandoval can still do his job it shouldn’t matter. And don’t give me any crap about “dedication”. I’m guessing Sandoval has always been tubby. And he’s always been able to hit.

• joshfrancis50 - Feb 13, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Maybe it’s a little bit about commitment, but to me it would be more about the Giants having invested a significant amount of money in something and they want it to be treated in the best possible manner to avoid future maintenance. His weight may make him an injury risk. His weight may shorten his career, which could be detrimental to both the Giants and the Panda.

Let’s assume a truck can get 200,000 miles in optimal conditions. You think attaching a horse trailer to the back for those same 200,000 may affect its longevity or performance?

I’m not saying Bochy shouldn’t shut up; maybe you’re right, but let’s not assume that it’s simply OK for Sandoval to be fat.

• samu0034 - Feb 13, 2012 at 5:15 PM

That’s a fair point, but at some point don’t you just have to come to terms with the fact that Pablo Sandoval is a fat guy who can play baseball pretty well? Sure it will affect his ability to have a long career, but it’s not as though the front office is being blindsided by the fact that Sandoval’s fat. It’s fair if it factors into their decision making process for the future, but Jesus, quit harping on the guy for just being what he is.

• byjiminy - Feb 14, 2012 at 1:58 AM

You might have a point if you were talking about some other player but in this case you’re wrong. Even Sandoval doesn’t agree with you. It’s just not true that “he’s always been able to hit.”

The fact is, after a totally awesome 2009 in which he hit .330 / .387 / .556 and came in second in the league in batting average, in 2010 his batting average plummeted to .268, he hit 13 home runs, and he had a slash line of .268 / .323 / .409, losing more than 200 points of OPS.

Sandoval himself attributed his problems to conditioning and hired an outside consultant to help him lose weight. He did, and his numbers soared again. So to say his weight doesn’t matter because he’s always been able to hit just doesn’t make sense in this particular case.

He’s not Babe Ruth. If he’s not careful he runs the risk of being Dmitri Young, and he knows it.

His argument here is not that it’s okay to be fat. It’s that he isn’t fatter, he’s more muscular. We’ll see.

I think he should shut up and prove it on the field, not mouth off about his manager in the press. That is just never a good idea.

• sfg1fan - Feb 14, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Have you been watching baseball long? You have to do more than just HIT! He has to dive for balls hit by him at third base and catch them. He has to run the bases. You can’t do that well if you are a blob of fat. Look at all the guff that Huff had to take this year and last for supposedly not being in shape. Pablo looked a little chunky on tv when I saw him. He did great last year with his fielding reflexes. He was faster getting to the ball. He needs to do more than just hit to contribute to the team!

5. philly56 - Feb 13, 2012 at 4:21 PM

That doesn’t sound like a big jolly panda bear…..that sounds like a big spiteful grizzly bear.

6. paperlions - Feb 13, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Pablo, people don’t say your fat because of 7 pounds…it is the other 300 lbs that make them say that.

7. braddavery - Feb 13, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Pablo Sandwichval.

8. Old Gator - Feb 13, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Fat! Fat! Fat!

…Wallace Stevens, “Bantams in Pine Woods,” 1922.

9. dowhatifeellike - Feb 13, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Unless he’s training like a defensive lineman, there’s no reason to be that fat. How hard can you be working out if you can’t lose any weight? Even if you just lift and forego all cardio work, you still have to overeat to stay that big.

Baseball seems to be the one sport where nobody cares if you’re fat and slow. Only the guys who are trim yet still slow are criticized.

10. bearsstillsuck - Feb 13, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Obesity is as rampant as steroids.

• JBerardi - Feb 13, 2012 at 6:42 PM

I’d say it’s far more rampant, actually.

• paperlions - Feb 13, 2012 at 7:56 PM

They should pass a law. Think of the children.

11. aaronmoreno - Feb 13, 2012 at 5:54 PM

If he’d shut his mouth every once in awhile, we wouldn’t have anything to talk about.

12. jason1214 - Feb 13, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Pablo is probably right, Giants offense is crappy, crappy, crappy.
    But hey they can pitch with the best of them anyway.

13. rrekowjr - Feb 13, 2012 at 11:13 PM

This is all a context thing. Without knowing the exact question that Pablo was responding to we cannot determine whose mouths he wants to shut. Until then I think it unfair to try to make it out that Pablo is saying this to Bochy. This could be in the context of responding to all of his critics that say he is overweight. He did not say “shut his mouth….” he did say “shut their mouths….”.

If you want to read more about my thoughts on Pablo Sandoval and his weight please check out my blog.

14. hushbrother - Feb 14, 2012 at 5:20 AM

So chubby Pablo will be in perfect shape in one week? Shoot, I’d like to get on his program, where that’s all the conditioning one needs to get into playing shape, so I can spend he rest of the year lazing around

15. Troy Nelson, 22gigantes - Feb 14, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Come on. I didn’t see anywhere in Pablo’s quote above that he was bashing on Bochy, specifically.

Maybe Carlos Alberto Zambrano at Lider en Deportes told Pablo that “people” are saying you’re fat.

In his quotes, Pablo says things like, “I’m not interested in what PEOPLE say about me” and “I’ll shut THEIR mouths…” and “THEY’RE going to say I’m fat because…” and “But PEOPLE like to talk.”

Nowhere does he say, “I’ll prove HIM (as in Bochy) wrong” or “Bochy likes to talk.”

Pablo is going to react differently with a question about “people” than his boss. This is just an article to try and start something that isn’t even there.

• braddavery - Feb 14, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Are you implying that printed or typed word has no context? I don’t know man. ; )

16. skipshaw - Feb 14, 2012 at 4:37 PM

First, this all started when one of the Spanish reporters (I don’t remember the organization) reported that Pablo had said that he gained 40 lbs of muscle. In 4 months? No way. It turns out that Pablo had told him 10 lbs, same as in the article.

Bochy was asked about it at Giants FanFest. I was watching it. Bochy said that he had not seen Pablo yet so he had no idea. He said he would reserve any comment until he saw him and talked to him. When pressed, he did say like, “Pablo will know what he needs to do.”

How all this turns into the crap above I have no idea. Bochy was certainly not bashing the Panda, and I am guessing the Panda was not talking about Bochy. I am sure he was talking about the scribes and pundits.

If you did through the videos on the Giants site and on Comcast SportsNet you will see that Pablo looks pretty good. He certainly does not look fat. I should know as I resemble that remark.

17. Troy Nelson, 22gigantes - Feb 18, 2012 at 9:23 PM

As I mentioned above (FEB. 14 2:32 P.M.), this whole article was blown way out of proportion….. here’s the quote Bochy gave reporters TODAY when he saw Sandoval:

“He looks good. I don’t see it being an issue.”

Link: http://twitter.com/JanieMcCAP/status/170941468930883584

Sorry, Craig Calcaterra, but you lose.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. G. Stanton (3915)