Rex Hudler is in The Best Shape of His Life

Feb 13, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT

Meme-creep!  It’s not just players who can be in the BSHOL, announcers can too.  Like the Royals’ new announcer, Rex Hudler:

“I’m training right now, physically, like I’m a player,” he said. “I’m in the best shape I’ve been since I played. I don’t think (manager) Ned Yost would have a guy who is 51 years old on his team but that, in a sense, is what he’s got.

“That’s what I do as a broadcaster. I have a player’s mentality. That’s what I share with the people — what the guy is thinking; how he’s going to go about beating this guy; why he did something.”

Personally I prefer my announcers to not have a player’s mentality. I want them to be an individual, not a teammate. In fact, I want them to stand outside of the team framework entirely — mentally and in his day-to-day existence — and provide independent insight and criticism whenever necessary.

But hey, if Hudler can bench twice his weight while trying to do that, more power to him.

1. Francisco (FC) - Feb 13, 2012 at 4:36 PM

So Craig, when are YOU going to be in the Best Shape of Your Life? Clearly this is the direction where the meme is going to end up in…

• Craig Calcaterra - Feb 13, 2012 at 4:44 PM

I actually am, I think. At least my adult life. I lost around 25 pounds between last spring and the beginning of winter, and I’ve been keeping it off. So, yeah, I’m in the BSOML.

• cur68 - Feb 13, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Nah. He serious. I think Hudler’s bereft of the element irony. Probably be best to listen to the radio, bro. It’ll be less painful than Sexy Rexy crapping on about his BMI being better than they guys playing.

• cur68 - Feb 13, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Dang. That comment was for bobwsc, below. For you, Craig, I was gonna ask if you gave up burritos, like Justin Smoak…mmm burritos…

• dodger88 - Feb 13, 2012 at 5:17 PM

You and Jon Weisman of Dodger Thoughts – the battle to be the blogger BSHOL.

• 24missed - Feb 13, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Craig,

Where’s your picture? BSOML stories keep getting better and better! And seriously, congrats on your weight loss.

And thanks for that link. Ugh. Some BSOML pics are not for nighttime consumption.

Sexy Rexy’s got nothing on my stud.

• Craig Calcaterra - Feb 13, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Nah, just got a treadmill, use it a lot, and cut back ever so slightly on gorging myself on awful crap.

2. bobwsc - Feb 13, 2012 at 4:44 PM

seriously – that wasn’t said tongue in cheek?

3. fuggles7 - Feb 13, 2012 at 4:51 PM

He better be in the best shape of his life if he’s replacing a Royal’s Legend.. Frank White.

• The Baseball Idiot - Feb 13, 2012 at 6:46 PM

He’d better be Vin Scully.

• normswifevera - Feb 14, 2012 at 12:56 AM

You’ve clearly never heard Frank White call a game.

• The Baseball Idiot - Feb 14, 2012 at 5:08 AM

You clearly don’t understand the point about Frank White being fired.

4. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 13, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Get as fit as you want Rex, you’re in the Chip Caray World of Obnoxiousness regardless.

5. damnyankee13 - Feb 14, 2012 at 8:24 AM

These pro athletes are paid to be ‘in the best shape of his life”. I for one am tired of these inane stories. Hey writer, have writer’s block?

Three legends off to Cooperstown