Feb 13, 2012, 12:02 PM EDT
Last Sam Miller of the OC Register/Baseball Prospectus noticed something neat: Russell Martin declares himself to be in The Best Shape of His Life just about every single year. Really: Here he is in 2008, here he is in 2009, here he is in 2010 and here he is last year.
So, shocker, but Martin is out there crowing about how he’s in good shape once again. From Yahoo!
Russell Martin is healthy going into spring training, a change from his first season as a Yankee, when he was finishing up rehab on an injured hip and knee. Before 2011 spring training, Martin had little chance to build power in his legs, so a full winter of workouts “will be a huge difference,” Martin told the New York Daily News. Martin believes, in fact, that he might be the fittest Yankee in camp this year. “If there’s any guys in more shape than me, I”d be surprised,” Martin said. “If there are, I’d be happy, because I’m coming ready this year.” Martin also said he’s already begun taking swings, something he didn’t do until a few days before spring training began last year.
So, last year’s claim that he was “in the best shape of his career” was a bald-faced lie? Say it ain’t so, Russ!
And if it is so then — brace yourselves people — it’s possible that all of these players claiming to be in such great shape are full of baloney and are making such claims either because (a) they are taking kindly to reporters by throwing them a meaningless bone when they have nothing else to report; or (b) they are trying to mask eroding baseball skills with a sheen of positive P.R.
I know. Crazy.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 75
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)