Feb 14, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT
Last week Jayson Stark of ESPN.com reported that the Angels would accept a “middling prospect” in exchange for Bobby Abreu and his $9 million salary, but yesterday general manager Jerry Dipoto downplayed the team’s chances of parting with Abreu.
“Bobby is an Angel,” Dipoto told Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times. “Right now, he fits on our 25-man roster, in our clubhouse, on our team. Where he is in eight weeks is predicated on how he’s playing and everyone’s health. … As I told him, if he swings the bat like he can, we’re going to find a way to play him.”
In other words, there’s no reason for the Angels to trade Abreu before knowing if Kendrys Morales and to a lesser extent Mark Trumbo is going to be healthy for Opening Day, particularly if all they might get in return is a mediocre prospect and even that could require eating a big chunk of his salary.
However, if everyone is healthy at some point the Angels will have too many bats and not enough lineup spots for them, and while Dipoto has thrown cold water on rumors involving Abreu and Trumbo a deal to lessen the logjam remains likely eventually.
Abreu certainly isn’t worth $9 million at age 38, but he’s also not totally washed up. He posted a .353 on-base percentage in 142 games last season, topping a .350 mark for the 14th consecutive year, and also chipped in 21 steals. He’d be useful for plenty of teams if the Angels cover a lot of salary and want a little in return.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)