Angels GM on Bobby Abreu: “Right now, he fits our roster”

Feb 14, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT

Bobby Abreu AP

Last week Jayson Stark of ESPN.com reported that the Angels would accept a “middling prospect” in exchange for Bobby Abreu and his $9 million salary, but yesterday general manager Jerry Dipoto downplayed the team’s chances of parting with Abreu.

“Bobby is an Angel,” Dipoto told Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times. “Right now, he fits on our 25-man roster, in our clubhouse, on our team. Where he is in eight weeks is predicated on how he’s playing and everyone’s health. … As I told him, if he swings the bat like he can, we’re going to find a way to play him.”

In other words, there’s no reason for the Angels to trade Abreu before knowing if Kendrys Morales and to a lesser extent Mark Trumbo is going to be healthy for Opening Day, particularly if all they might get in return is a mediocre prospect and even that could require eating a big chunk of his salary.

However, if everyone is healthy at some point the Angels will have too many bats and not enough lineup spots for them, and while Dipoto has thrown cold water on rumors involving Abreu and Trumbo a deal to lessen the logjam remains likely eventually.

Abreu certainly isn’t worth $9 million at age 38, but he’s also not totally washed up. He posted a .353 on-base percentage in 142 games last season, topping a .350 mark for the 14th consecutive year, and also chipped in 21 steals. He’d be useful for plenty of teams if the Angels cover a lot of salary and want a little in return.

1. pisano - Feb 14, 2012 at 12:29 PM

He’ll be gone soon, that statement by Dipoto was the kiss of death.

2. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 14, 2012 at 12:48 PM

I could see him being dealt back to the Yankees, or the Blue Jays.

3. randygnyc - Feb 14, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Not looking long term, but I gotta ask, who would you rather have, THIS YEAR, for 9 million dollars, abreu or Yoenus Cespedes? If Abreu isn’t worth 9 million, then what is a guy who’s never seen a pitch thrown by a AAA prospect worth?

4. drmonkeyarmy - Feb 14, 2012 at 1:18 PM

I like Bobby Abreu…he was an excellent Phillie. I could never tell if he was just erratic in RF or just lazy. Towards the end of his Phillies career, I would always get seats in RF at CBP one or two rows back. The view from there somewhat obstructs the right fielder. Always made me happy because I didn’t have to watch him.

5. pisano - Feb 14, 2012 at 1:42 PM

If for purely a DH, I’d rather have him than Damon, Matsui, or Ibanez, but not for $9 mil. He’d have to play for cheap which I don’t feel he’ll do.

6. royhobbs39 - Feb 14, 2012 at 2:04 PM

“Bobby is an angel.”

– also what his 3rd grade teacher said on his report card.

• The Baseball Idiot - Feb 14, 2012 at 3:34 PM

RIght after which, the ACLU had the teacher fired and stripped of all teaching certifications for daring to mention religion in the classroom, and thereby ending western civilization as we know it.

• Utley's Hair - Feb 14, 2012 at 9:53 PM

I was unaware that the ACLU had a Venezuelan chapter.

7. The Baseball Idiot - Feb 15, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Well, it’s the ‘Ámerican’ CLU. Venezuala is a South American country.

Do you deny the existence of the country just because the Phillies have no players from there?

8. mrpictureman - Feb 20, 2012 at 5:37 PM

ACLU is for anyone not an american citizen. So being Venezuelan fits right into ACLU territory

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3502)