Feb 14, 2012, 11:50 AM EDT
Considering the small gap in submissions it’s odd that the two sides couldn’t come to a pre-hearing compromise, but instead the Brewers made their case to a three-person panel for why he wasn’t worth the money before Veras has even thrown a pitch for them.
Acquired from the Pirates for Casey McGehee in mid-December, the 31-year-old right-hander logged a career-high 71 innings with a 3.80 ERA and 79/34 K/BB ratio last season. He’ll fill a setup role for the Brewers and Veras will be under team control again in 2013 via arbitration.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 30
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 8
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 32
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)