Feb 14, 2012, 11:50 AM EDT
Considering the small gap in submissions it’s odd that the two sides couldn’t come to a pre-hearing compromise, but instead the Brewers made their case to a three-person panel for why he wasn’t worth the money before Veras has even thrown a pitch for them.
Acquired from the Pirates for Casey McGehee in mid-December, the 31-year-old right-hander logged a career-high 71 innings with a 3.80 ERA and 79/34 K/BB ratio last season. He’ll fill a setup role for the Brewers and Veras will be under team control again in 2013 via arbitration.
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 60
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 35
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 38
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 9
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The Royals asked a fan in Marlins gear to change his shirt last night. He refused. (86)