Jorge Soler expected to sign with the Cubs

Feb 14, 2012, 8:20 AM EDT

Cubs logo

When it comes to Cuban free agents, everyone’s attention has been on Yoenis Cespedes.  But, as the man said, there is another. His name is Jorge Soler.  He’s and outfielder who profiles as a corner guy, long term. He has the same sorts of tools as Cespedes. He’s much younger too: 19.

And according to Dave van Dyck of the Chicago Tribune, he’s going to be a Chicago Cub:

The Cubs are expected to add 19-year-old outfielder Jorge Soler after acquiring 19-year-old pitcher Gerardo Concepcion, according to multiple reports from the Dominican Republic, where Soler is staying … Soler, according to one report, will be making $27.5 million with the Cubs for three or four years.

He’s raw, so he’s probably a couple of years away, but that’s fine given where the Cubs are at the moment: building.

1. proudlycanadian - Feb 14, 2012 at 8:30 AM

A very good move for the Cubs.

2. Francisco (FC) - Feb 14, 2012 at 8:35 AM

By the time the Cubs assemble the young talent Starlin Castro should be a seasoned veteran with an arbitration year remaining or the Cubs extend him a number of years.

• Old Gator - Feb 14, 2012 at 3:29 PM

By the time the Cubs move back to Wiggly Field, they will merely have infected the south side with that prion-vectored Indonesian brain disorder Die Vloek van der Geitbok. Its effects are insidious, but you’ll know it’s spreading when the PhD’s at the University of Chicago start forgetting who they are and begin addressing each other as “Mister.”

• Old Gator - Feb 14, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Erk! Now how the hell did I post this one here? It belongs in the “Cubs Will Play in US Cellulite Field” thread. Sorry for spreading things so thin.

3. kopy - Feb 14, 2012 at 8:56 AM

I heard that he’s going over to Boston, along with 14 other players of the Red Sox’ choosing. Y’know, to make things fair.

• Alex K - Feb 14, 2012 at 9:43 AM

I think the list of players that the Sx are getting (as per Sox fans) is:

Castro
      Garza
      Soto
      Rizzo
      Jackson
      McNutt
      Byrd
      Vitters
      Carpenter
      Soler

And the next three 1st round picks. You know, because significant compensation was agreed upon.

4. paperlions - Feb 14, 2012 at 9:00 AM

If he is making $27.5M for 3 or 4 years and then will be a FA in similar fashion to the Cespedes deal…not sure how that is a good investment. The kid is so raw he’ll be lucky to be in the majors in 3 years….BUT, if that is essentially his “signing bonus” and the cubs will maintain his rights as a normally drafted/signed player (5-6 yrs of ML experience)…that is totally different, and a good move.

• Norm B - Feb 14, 2012 at 9:51 AM

It would be your 2nd scenario…I can’t find the rules, but I think the Cubs would have control until at least 25 years of age, maybe 27

• paperlions - Feb 14, 2012 at 9:57 AM

It depends on the contract. Professional International FAs like Soler can have it stipulated in their contract that they will become a FA at the end of their deal, which is why Cespedes will be a FA in 4 years regardless of how much time he spends in the majors during that time.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 14, 2012 at 10:46 AM

I was wondering the same thing. Why pay $27 million to have a guy develop and potentially leave? I feel like I’m missing something.

5. shawon0meter - Feb 14, 2012 at 9:05 AM

This guy goes straight to the top of the Cubs prospect list!

As far as the years, according to Kevin Goldstein on twitter: “Folks, the four year deal for Soler is DIFFERENT from the Cespedes deal. Service time won’t start until big leagues, NOT a FA after the 4.”

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 14, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Okay, I was just wondering that above. Thank you for referencing that!

6. surefooted1 - Feb 14, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Wait, he’s a couple of years away and “will be making $27.5 million with the Cubs for three or four years”?

A couple of years away means he’s not close to The Show. That’s an awe ful lot to be investing in a kid who may have trouble at AA or AAA, no?

7. larryboodry - Feb 14, 2012 at 1:07 PM

I am excited about both Soler and Concepcion, and I also read where Soler’s deal would not be like that early-out deal Cespedes got from Oakland…Things are looking up for the future, and even this year I think the Cubs will be more competitive than people expect. The Theo compensation worries me a little, I hope Selig doesn’t cave to Lucchino’s extortion tactics…One guy – aside from the obvious names – I’d hate to lose is Jeff Beliveau…Too bad we can’t just give ‘em Vitters, even though I still like his upside…As for the other off-season moves, I like them overall (welcome back, Kerry!), but I am not so sure on guys like Roderigo Lopez and Manny Corpas.

Does anyone want to win the NL wild card?
  1. M. Cuddyer (2947)